Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

0 members and 2,850 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

do they know when to stop eating?

ive had my fence lizard monkey for about 2 weeks now and ive been noticing she eats A LOT. she eats to where she has a pot belly and im wondering if she knows when she is full. does anybody know if fence lizards know when to stop, or are they like fish and keep eating and eating? ive been cutting her off at 9-10 crix a day.

thanks, Marshall
    -marshall

Thanks

Re: do they know when to stop eating?

I usually give them about as much as they can eat in 5 minutes....I read a study where they did the same with success. 9-10 crix sound about right though. Just try to keep her from getting too fat. Alot of herps are just getting out of hibernation....so they are eating like crazy. I saw an anole eat like 5 bugs in a matter of seconds the other day...ha.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: do they know when to stop eating?

thats funny. cuz godzilla, my male, hasnt really eaten that ive seen. i know he did it some crix because he wasnt as skinny as he was yesterday. he's mostly been hiding underneath one of the rocks i have in their enclosure, i guess that's because he's still settling in because its only his second day in captivity and he isnt as tame as monkey.

now that ive started a thread id like to ask this question too. my fence lizards are almost exactly the same size, both about 5 inches but godzilla is a little more leaner than monkey (im assuming because he just came out of hibernation and monkeys been getting crix like clockwork for the last two weeks). would there be any problem with one dominating the other and not letting the other eat, etc. that you hear with other lizards? i don't think it would be a problem because, like i said, they're almost exactly the same size.
    -marshall