Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,337

2 members and 2,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piglets

Reptile Dysfunction Lucifers_Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

Piglets

I was thinking the other day about getting some more rabbits for buttercup.....then somone asked me if it ate pigs.......and i got thinking

Im not a farmer but i think when pigs are born they are just a bit bigger than a guinea pig....right???? like 3-5 pounds if that???

Out of a rabbit and a piglet i would assume the rabbit has more nutrition but then again i have no clue....does anyone know???

I live in a rural community and my real dad works in a pig barn lol , so it woudlnt be hard to buy them...and i mean like fresh born or a day or 2 old...anyways if anyone has any thoughts on this id like to know

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Piglets

I have NO idea how big a newborn pig is. I would imagine it varies a bit between different kinds of pigs. As far as nutrition, I can't imagine why a rabbit would be more nutritious than a pig. I think, if they are the right size, either would be fine.

I think a better question is "What is easier for me to get and feed for the long term life of the snake?" If you get her hooked on pigs and then move to the city with her...what then? Not saying you can't get pigs there...or that you can't possibly convince the snake to eat something else if it must, but either could be challening. Just saying...when it comes to prey...so long as it is the proper size and type of prey, then go with what you think will be easiest for you to provide.
    -- Judy

Thanks

I understand what you mean, i vary her diet as it is now, between med rabbits guinea pigs and jumo rats, as long as its dangling she will take it, however i know what you mean, i dont want her to get hooked on pigs then not have them. (just like you said lol!)

i was just thinking that piglets being newborn wouldnt have the muscle mass or "meat" as a rabbit....thats what is was thinking about nutrtion wise is all

Thanks Judy

Thanks

The things I'd wonder about with pigs is.. the high fat content (especially of lard producing breeds) and the lack of any amount of hair. But.. I really have no idea.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

thats why i kinda thought rabbits are more nutritonal but i dunno...im gonna try and find a study or something lol......the high fat of certain breeds would give her the poopies woudlnt it? Not to mention make a her turn into a tub 'o lard lol

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I know a lot of guys with 'tics and burms who feed their big boids pigs or piglets with no ill effects. The fat content may be higher than in rabbits, but I don't think it would be enough to endanger your snakes health. Pigs these days are bred to be pretty lean. So, I'd say, if you can get them cheap, go for it.

Thanks

I think nutritionaly it would be fine. My concern would be the lack of hair and the subsequent loose stools. Hair is great for keeping things together and easy cleaning.

-Lawrence

Thanks

but what if i pulled out all of the hairballs from my drains and put them in the dead pigs mouth..........would that hold the poo together???????

lmao just joking guys

Thanks

Hi,

For 4-H and FFA, I bred pigs. It was called "from farrow to finish" because I bred, raised, fattened and sold them.

Baby pigs when they're born are VERY lean/skinny and only weigh about 1-2# a piece....esp. if the litter is really big, the piglets are even smaller. Now, if you want something that would be more of a meal for your burm, you'd need to look at and purchase weaners. They're about maybe 3-5# ea. (if that) depending on how well the farmer supplements the litter, or if they're strictly getting only mother's milk. My former roommate's Chihuahua ***** is a little bigger than most of the newborn pigs I raised, and I raised one of the larger of the breeds. The Yorks I bred are called Large Whites in Europe, and the large boar I had weighed over 1200#. My largest sow weighed over 900# when we sold her for being too old and not being prolific anymore.

If you have specific questions, gimme a buzz.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

VP of Cool
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    If you get her hooked on pigs and then move to the city with her...what then? Not saying you can't get pigs there...
    Just go to any major political convention in your area and you don't have to worry about not being able to find a few
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast