Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,111

1 members and 3,110 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Are retics really bad?

When I told people I was gtting a snake, I had everyone giving me opinions. the 3 I heard most that were good for a first snake were, corn snake, rosy boa, ball python.
    Everyone also said do not get a reticulated python. They are mean, they bite, you can't handle them.
    I would like to know what you retic owners out there have to say. I'm not trying to make anyone mad, but I would like to hear the retics side of the story. I can't believe that all of them are mean.

Registered User The Cannibal Monkey's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are retics really bad?

I don't know about mean, but they're eff-ing huge....for that reason alone not a good first snake.

Thanks

I don't think too many people on this forum own retics. They are definitely not a first snake by any stretch of the imagination. Like any snake, some can be ornery and others can be quite docile. They are very intelligent, and from what I've read, command a lot of respect when handling, feeding, cleaning the cage, etc.

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

There's nothing "bad" about retics. What is bad is when people buy the cute little babies without a clue about what they're getting into. That would be like buying a baby tiger because they are SOOO cute!! Who wouldn't want a baby tiger? But they grow up into BIG tigers. Doesn't mean the tiger is bad...or even mean. Raised from a baby, a tiger can probably be very tame and lovable. But it is still a wild animal that happens to be dangerously huge and armed.

Corn snakes and ball pythons are also still wild animals...but they are not so big that if they "go wild" on you that you are in any danger. A mature retic, on the other hand...can easily kill an adult man if it felt endangered or decided to grab and constrict for some other reason. Even a defensive bite-and-release can maim or leave permanent scars from a snake that big.

Dangers aside, an animal that big requires a LOT of space to live in, very large prey animals to feed on, and multiple people willing and able to be there for both routine maintanance and for emergency handling.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Retics are reputed to be remarkably agile for such a large snake as well.
    Rats in the hold. Crew is dead, I fear the plague.....

Thanks

A retic is not something to take lightly, however there are many docile retics out there.. especially the tiger morph is known for being generally calm. Wild caught retics, on the other hand, can be extremely nasty, so it really depends on the snake's history.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Reptile Dysfunction Lucifers_Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

The temperments set aside, they get huge:eek:

heres a video of a 22 foot retic i posted somewhere else on here if you wanna take a gander at how big they can get....

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_vids/Conan_Obrien_Snake.htm

there are dwarfs that dont get nearly as big... but i belive the dwarf line is still fairly new and they started out as wild caughts, i dont know what there attitudes are like so dont quote me on this causes i could be totaly wrong....but to me the words "wild caught and retic" dont sound good no matter how big they are ....someone correct me if im wrong...i need to go research

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Cannibal Monkey
    I don't know about mean, but they're eff-ing huge....for that reason alone not a good first snake.
    Not all of them.....Super dwarfs average around 6'....that is direct from the master of retics, Bob Clark.

Retics are great animals....just misunderstood and feared....like just about every other reptile.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

VP of Cool
    Thanks

Definitely not a beginners snake! Its an animal that deserves the utmost respect from us and should not under any circumstances be taken lightly. If you wish to own one in the future, make sure that you have the necessary experience, space, man-power and financial means in order to be able to care for an animal that will live for a very long time!
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I actually do own two retics, Yellowhead Tigers (boris&natasha). My 'tics are still very young, Natasha is about 4 ft, Boris 3 1/2ft. But they are unlike any other snake I have dealt with. Yes, when they're in feed mode, they can be extremely aggressive. But mine are hook trained, and once out of the cage are very docile. Even so, they are much more alert than other snakes. With mine, even when they're motionless, they don't seem to be still. I think the problem with that is, it makes it harder for us humans to pretend they're cute cuddly harmless critters. People apply human emotions to every other type of snake, burms are "puppy dog tame", boas are sweet, BPs cute and cuddly. But you don't hear people talk about tics that way. With Burms, boas and BPs, its easy to forget that these are predators that kill. For some reason, with tics, that fact is right in your face the whole time. Do they get big? Sure, but so do burms, so do BCCs for that matter. I even know people with GREEN anacondas, they're HUGE! But with all of them, its easy to overlook the fact that they're designed to be very effective killers. That's not something you forget with a 'tic. Does that make them bad? Not in my book. But I can tell you, I NEVER let my guard down with them. Any snake that gets to be over 8ft needs to be respected, none of them are harmless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast