Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

1 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Late Season Breeding

How late is too late in the season to breed? I know many of the big breeders start the cooling in October and start to introduce males in November continuing to introduce the male and drop temps until February. And hitting March/April most breeding is done and clutches start to drop.

Would it be too late to introduce my male into the females enclosure for a late season clutch? I assume it wouldn't harm them any, it would just need to be another late breeding season for the particular female next season?

Jason

The planned pair this year would be my Normal Male (1200grams)x 50%Het Albino Female (1200grams). I didn't know if her weight would be enough to produce a clutch, but after reading "the man" RDR's site, he told someone that 1200 grams is a decent breedable size for a female.

If I am able to breed them this late without ill effects on the "cycle" and they are sucessful I'll be holding back the clutch to try and prove the 50% female out (which I know chances are slim...but there's still a chance)...and I'd just like the breeding experience with normals before I spend $$ on morphs only to screw things up, or have a clutch go bad.
    Jason

Thanks

Re: Late Season Breeding

It is never too late to breed. You just have to provide the proper conditions to get them 'in the mood'. Some people breed ball pythons year round.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBallPython
    The planned pair this year would be my Normal Male (1200grams)x 50%Het Albino Female (1200grams). I didn't know if her weight would be enough to produce a clutch, but after reading "the man" RDR's site, he told someone that 1200 grams is a decent breedable size for a female.
    I missed this part. Some 1200 gram girls can breed....then some can not. Use the 500 grams per foot. I have a 1200 gram girl that will not be breed until she is at least 1700 grams because of her length. Don't rush breeding female, it is worth it to wait until she is bigger.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Thanks Daniel!

I was assuming it would be possible due to the controlled climate that they are in...but having never bred snakes before I thought I would ask. My male has actually been cooling for me since December. I switched out the heat bulb that I left on at night on his enclosure with a lower wattage which brough ambient temp down from ~84 at night to ~80-82F. However, the CB Het female I just acquired last month, got her settled in (supposedly she was being cooled and was off feed for the winter). I'll give it a go. I'm so used to the no hassle breeding of leos, this is a whole new ball game.

I'll post some pictures if I see any "magic in the air" the next few days. Time to put the record player in the room with some Marvin Gaye.

Jason
    Jason

Thanks

According to where I purchased her from she was ~1400-1500 grams before she went off feed. She's a solid 36 in.
    Jason

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

It's possible, but why not just wait until the fall? She'll just be that much bigger, more sexually mature, and give you a larger clutch. Larger clutchs are critical for proving out possible hets.

Just my $.02.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Plus, if you don't hate yellow snakes, you could get a $25-$125 het albino male by then and at least have a chance at producing some albinos.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRemington
    Plus, if you don't hate yellow snakes, you could get a $25-$125 het albino male by then and at least have a chance at producing some albinos.

i agree if your girl is 50% and you breed to a normal male the babies would only be 25% chance of being het. it would be nicer and faster if you bought a 100% het male and raise him up this year and breed him in the fall. if you bought a 100% that was born in 05 he should be ready to breed this fall and he's still cheap i would say round 150-200 foe a 05 male thats 100% het.
    0.1 spider het ghost 1.1 het ghost 1.1 het pied
    0.1 spider ball python 1.0 het red
    2.0 pastel 1.0 mojave 1.0 Lesser
    1.0 het clown 0.22 normals
    1.0 boxer 0.0.1 red foot

Thanks

Yeah I have a site bookmarked where I can get 2005 100% het albino males for $100...

My thinking behind breeding Shogun to the 50% female that I have is I would like to pass on his blushing, if it would show up in albinos if she were to prove out. However to prove her out sooner than later it would make more sense to get the 100% male...otherwise I would have to holdback the males and breed them back to their dam...

I'll wait it out...and the weekend of the 22nd try to find a 100% het albino male at the WI show. *fingers crossed* Then raise him up a bit, and decide from there.

I wouldn't mind having some normals females however...but like Adam said, with a bit more weight she'll have a larger clutch.

Thanks everyone!
    Jason