Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,331

2 members and 2,329 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Humidity problem with BRB's

Hello I have a breeding pair of BRB's and am having a problem getting the humidity levels where they belong. Can anyone give me sugggestions? They are in a 6 foot long, 3 foot high, by 1 foot deep homemade ( converted disply case) enclosure. Temps are 85 on warm and 78 on cool. I use flex watt on a thermostat, and have been misting like mad and it isnt working. I do have a humid hide but it doesnt seem to be enough, and I dont want my babies to be hurt by something I can sort. Please help me.

Regards,
    Beauty the BP

Thanks

Re: Humidity problem with BRB's

What is your humidity now? What is the enclosure made of? What kinda ventilation does the enclosure have?

ha...I ask alot of questions.....the more details concerning the enclosure the better we can try to figure out what is going on
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    What is your humidity now? What is the enclosure made of? What kinda ventilation does the enclosure have?

ha...I ask alot of questions.....the more details concerning the enclosure the better we can try to figure out what is going on
    The enclosure I have them in was an old display case from a camera shop. It is in 2 sections and measures 6 foot by 6 foot by 12 inches deep. Each section is 6 foot by 3 foot high with sliding glass doors and a steel frame. I converted it to be a vivarium for my BRB's and my green basilisk. Basilisk is in the top portion of the case. I am using cypress mulch and moss for substrate. And nothing I have tried from misting every hour to putting in a fogger has helped to get the humidity above 30%. I have four hides in there and 2 are humid hides just to keep them moist. Heating I have a 3 foot Flexwatt UTh on a thermostat (ranco) and 2 CHE's of 75 watt. Temps are 75 cool and 85 warm with ambient of 80-82,

I am at a complete loss as to what else I can do. The guy I rescued them from had the breeding pair in a one foot wide, by two foot high by one foot deep glass viv, that would have been more suited for anoles or a spider. The rescue cost me the equiv of 1500 dollars but in my mind it was worth it.Can someone please help me?

Regards,
    Beauty the BP

Thanks

BRBs! Post some pictures of them and their setups!
    Jason

Thanks

...pictures of their enclosure would help alot. Humidity is generally lost via whatever ventilation you are providing. What kinda air flow does the enclosure get? Also, what are you using to measure the humidity? Digital humidity guages tend to 'go out' especially if they are exposed to too high of humidity or get water in them somehow.
    -Daniel Hill

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    ...pictures of their enclosure would help alot. Humidity is generally lost via whatever ventilation you are providing. What kinda air flow does the enclosure get? Also, what are you using to measure the humidity? Digital humidity guages tend to 'go out' especially if they are exposed to too high of humidity or get water in them somehow.
    I use thanks to rabernet for sending me them acurites to measure the temps and humidity levels.

As for pics I will take some as soon as their settling in period has finished and then post them. I dont want them to be overly stressed morethan they were when I got them. After their firat feeding then I will be able to get pics.

Until then what can you suggest for me to do to get the humidity to go up.

Regards,
    Beauty the BP

Thanks

Without knowing how air moves in and out of the enclosure, I really cant make any kind of suggestions besides misting. What kind of ventilation does the enclosure have??
    -Daniel Hill

Thanks

Spaghnum Moss! Even if your lamps are drying the crap out of the cage, your BRBs will burrow into the moss and get the humidity they need there. One reason why lamps + humidity-loving animals don't mix well.

Those $2 kitty litter pans from Wal-Mart filled with damp spaghnum moss are an excellent fix to your dilemma. Keeps the floor of the cage relatively clean and gives your snakes another place to chill. At work I sell a few BRBs here and there and customers INSIST on putting them in glass tanks....so I usually send them home with the moss litter box rig to give them a healthy place to hide. Then they come back all mad cause they never get to see their snakes, all they do is hide in the moss. I say to myself, "if you wanted a display animal, get a bearded dragon"....
    -Brad

Thanks

I dont mind if I dont see them in their tank. I just want them to be happy and not stressed. But I also want all their requirements to be taken care of.

The enclosure is vented at the bottom with a small grate thing. Air moved fine and isnt stagnent.

I will do the litter tray thing and see if that helps. I have a large flower basket of plastic filled with moist moss and have that turned upsidedown on top of a litter tray, with one enterance in it and they have spent a few hours in it every day, dont know what they do at night.....lol Im going to feed them tonight and see if they are ready to eat.

I have been asked to do a presentation at a school about reptiles and am going to be bringing my female BRB, my bapp pythons, and the corns, I then have a friend that is letting me borrow a few other of her lizards ( beairdies and such) to allow the children to see and touch. And Im to do my talk on what I rescue and why and the importance of treating all animals in a proper menner. !00 6th graders should be a learning experience for me........lol

Thank you for your help and If I need more help I know where to come and ask.

regards,
    Beauty the BP

Thanks

I would take one of those Acu-Rites and place it for a day outside this enclosure. Find out what your room's ambient humidity is as a starting place and if you have wide swings in the temps/humidity of that room over 24 hours. Just like if you are trying to heat a big enclosure in a room, if the room is warm it helps win that battle, I figure it's got to be like that with humidity. I always think of Ireland as a place that would be humid due to a lot of rain but what do I know LOL. Maybe a room humidifier might be in order to bump the room up enough to help the enclosure (as long as it's still comfie for you if they are in your sittingroom or something like that). Just a thought. I don't know what you have over there but here we can buy warm or cool air vaporizers for about $40.00 American.
    ~~Joanna~~