Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,090

0 members and 3,090 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question together or seperate

I have 3 BPs 2 female and one male, all three are living together in the same 75 gallon tank. They are all heathy and happy they eat regularly they shed perfectly ( all in one piece including eyes ). when i take them out to clean the tank (twice a month) they all explore the house together, almost like a pack . But i have had people telling me lately that housing them together is a bad idea. Obviously when they feed i seperate them but other than that they seem to be good. Any advice?

Thanks

Re: together or seperate

The consesus is to keep them separate. Ball pythons, like most reptiles, lead solitary lives and will get easily stressed if they have to share space with another animal. Although they have been known to eat their cagemates, it is not very common. However, they are more likely to go off feed because of stress.

Also, if one gets sick for whatever reason, it might be difficult to determine which snake is sick (runny stool) or they could easily transmit the illness to the other snakes.

You'll be doing your snakes a big favor if you would separate them into their own enclosures.

-Lawrence

Thanks

i did seperate them for 2 or 3 days and both of the females sat in the striking pose for about a day, they almost seemed lonely. when they are all together they all huddle together in the same hiding spot

Thanks

This is usually a no no to do as sometimes they will eat eachother.

Now on the flip side I have two recent 1.1 BP rescues that are 800-1000g and have been living together for three years with no problems. Do I trust that they will be okay together, truthfully I don't want to find out so I separated them. In the wild they are a solitary animal and could probably go there whole lives without seeing another BP. IMO except for breeding I would keep them separated, also if one gets sick it can transfer to the others causing uneeded vet bills and stress on tha animal. Sounds like you have some beautiful healthy snakes but if it were me I would separate them.
    Last edited by tigerlily; 04-04-2006 at 08:02 PM. Reason: editing out link

Thanks

yeah they are beutiful, i will be putting pictures up soon, the male is the biggest BP i have ever seen, if it wasnt for his colors you would think he was a young columbian.....lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mitch2724
    i did seperate them for 2 or 3 days and both of the females sat in the striking pose for about a day, they almost seemed lonely. when they are all together they all huddle together in the same hiding spot
    That's because they're all competing for the best spot - not because they love each other. Honestly - it really is better for them to be separated.

Thanks

I can't think of any pros for housing snakes together, except for the keeper.(and pleny of cons, several which are already listed) These are not social creatures, and don't benefit by the company. I vote for keeping them separate.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand