Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,391

1 members and 2,390 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Brazilian Rainbow Boas

Hey everyone. This is my first post . I'd consider myself a very responsible reptile owner. I currently own 3 at moment. A Ball Python "Halen", B&W Kenyan Sand Boa "Seraph" and a Spotted/Granite Python "Burzum". I am considering buying a few more. One snake I really would love to own is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. Yeah I can read about them but I want to know from the actual owners who have, or had them. Were they good snakes? Were they hand shy even with everday handling? All my snakes are handled 2-5 times a day, everyday. I hate seeing snakes not being handled and enjoyed. Unless its a full grown Anaconda then that's another story. Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks

Re: Brazilian Rainbow Boas

Quote Originally Posted by Vomitore
    Hey everyone. This is my first post . I'd consider myself a very responsible reptile owner. I currently own 3 at moment. A Ball Python "Halen", B&W Kenyan Sand Boa "Seraph" and a Spotted/Granite Python "Burzum". I am considering buying a few more. One snake I really would love to own is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. Yeah I can read about them but I want to know from the actual owners who have, or had them. Were they good snakes? Were they hand shy even with everday handling? All my snakes are handled 2-5 times a day, everyday. I hate seeing snakes not being handled and enjoyed. Unless its a full grown Anaconda then that's another story. Thanks in advance for your help!
    BRBs are excellent snakes IF you can meet their care requirements which are slightly more difficult than the other snakes you currently own. As far as those requirements, there are plenty of care sheets out there so I won't rehash all that info. As far as temperament, like all snakes, babies can be nippy but with regular handling (2-5 times a day with ANY snake is too much) they can become tame. Snakes should not be handled more than a few minutes every couple days and never for at least 24 hours after feeding to prevent a regurgitation of the meal. Mine is not the least bit head shy and has never even tried to strike. Hope this helps!

Jamie

Thanks

I appreciate the info. As for the handling, my snakes are babies and the Sand Boa and Spotted Python actually try to climb back onto my hand when I go to put then away. And sometimes they'll curl up on my chest and stay there while I'll watch TV. The Ball Python shes can be the hand shy one, but she has REALLY become a great pet. She has tried to bite one time, but now, instead of being balled up and timid, when shes in my hand she loves to stretch out and look around. After I feed them I dont handle them for 36-48 hours. I know their stomachs can be very sensitive so I choose not to disturb them and let them digest in peace, and with no stress on them. The care for a BRB is the other part that would make it interesting to care for them. I'm home alot, and when I work I have the same schedule every week. So no worries about not being there to care for them. Knowing heat adjustment, ect are very important for these guys. Thanks again for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    BRBs are excellent snakes IF you can meet their care requirements which are slightly more difficult than the other snakes you currently own. As far as those requirements, there are plenty of care sheets out there so I won't rehash all that info. As far as temperament, like all snakes, babies can be nippy but with regular handling (2-5 times a day with ANY snake is too much) they can become tame. Snakes should not be handled more than a few minutes every couple days and never for at least 24 hours after feeding to prevent a regurgitation of the meal. Mine is not the least bit head shy and has never even tried to strike. Hope this helps!

Jamie

Thanks

it is good to see someone who loves there snakes as much as i do. i hold mine all the time. i dont think there is any thing wrong with it as long as your snakes dont go off feeding. and as long as the room they are in is not to cold. i hold my 8 ft redtail all the time. he is like a puppy dog.

fish

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Oohhh I want one SOO bad. We won't have the room for a long, long time though. I am told our focus is ball pythons

Thanks

Holding your snake whether it's a lot or a little isn't an indication of how much "you love them" in my opinion. Sometimes loving a creature is also about knowing it's limits and respecting those limits even when that in turn limits your contact with them. Quite simply, snakes are not puppy dogs and unlike pets of that type do not require human interaction in the ways that long domesticated pack structured mammals do. Some may tolerate it better than others but I believe that in the end, handling is about our desire and need to touch them far more than it is about their requirements.

I'm not saying to not handle your snakes. I'm just always concerned that we respect these unique and beautiful creatures for what they are and what they are not.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Damn. Haha I posted this a long time ago. I have to admit when I first got my BP I held her alot. She never struck me, other then the first time I held her. We all know how hard it is to not want to touch and hold your new critter! I obvioulsy never hold them after they've even. Also after they've shed I'll give em 24 hours of no touching since taking your skin off with no arms or legs HAS to be tiring!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Holding your snake whether it's a lot or a little isn't an indication of how much "you love them" in my opinion. Sometimes loving a creature is also about knowing it's limits and respecting those limits even when that in turn limits your contact with them. Quite simply, snakes are not puppy dogs and unlike pets of that type do not require human interaction in the ways that long domesticated pack structured mammals do. Some may tolerate it better than others but I believe that in the end, handling is about our desire and need to touch them far more than it is about their requirements.

I'm not saying to not handle your snakes. I'm just always concerned that we respect these unique and beautiful creatures for what they are and what they are not.
    I agree completely. When it comes to snakes, my loving them consists of providing them with the best possible husbandry and seeing them thrive does it for me! I hold some of them more than others but once you have more than a couple it becomes harder and harder to spend quality time with them but its ok as long as I know I am doing my best to keep them healthy.

Thanks

couldent agree with you mor jamie

fish

Thanks

WOW this thread went out in left field!
    Brian
    1.5 BP (Nani, Aphrodite, Achilles, Ciabella, Aurora, Sapphire)
    0.2 BCI (Kaiser, Medusa)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Nefertiti)
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Ambrosia)
    1.0 Blood Python (Sakari)
    1.1 Burmese Python (Zeus, Ajax)
    www.bncsnakes.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast