Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,786

2 members and 2,784 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My Snakes of d00m

Hey gang! Well, I just thought you could know me a lil better by knowing my current pets! and even pics of their setups. Comments, suggestions, ratings, etc is VERY MUCH encouraged.

BISCUIT's SETUP (BALL PYTHON) V

TWIGGY's SETUP (CALIFORNIA KINGSNAKE) V

BISCUITS (BALL PYTHON) V

ANOTHER SHOT OF HIM V

TWIGGY (CALI KINGSNAKE) V

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: My Snakes of d00m

i have some comments, and suggestions. first of all, awesome snakes. we have cali kings at our property and they are so cool. i love the wide bands on Twiggy.

for suggestions i would take out the sticker thermometers on the cage, those are usually way off. you want to get an Accu-Rite from walmart for about 8-10 bucks.

you also want one hide on each side, one for the cool and one for the warm so they can choose which one they want to thermoregualte in. also best to have identical hides so they dont favor one over the other and never warm up when they need to because they like the hide on the cold side better or vise versa. other then that everything looks cool and your snakes look great!
    -marshall

Thanks

Lovely snakes and beautiful set up!

What I would change:

Peel off those little thermometers and stick them in the trash.. they are junk. Go to walmart/target and get a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer/hygrometer (humidity gauge) Accu-rite is the brand of choice, but others will work. Make sure your temps are 92-94 on the warm side and 82-84 on cool for the BP.. 88 or so degrees warm side and 80 cool side for your cali king. Humidity for both should be 50-60%

It's hard to see what your lids are, but make double triple sure that they are escape proof! Snakes can push lids off, and squeeze through very small spaces.

Make sure lights are turned off at night.. BPs are nocturnal.. light at night is stressful.

Make sure both snakes have nice tight, dark hides on each side of the tank (ie at least two per snake.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

nice looking setups and nice snakes. i highly recommend using thermostats to get you temps right! saves alot of stress on you and your snake. try here for heat and stats

http://www.beanfarm.com/cgi-bin/stor...off&ppinc=temp

vaughn

Thanks

Yeah, what they said! Gorgeous snakes you have there...

Thanks

Ah thank you all for your comments/suggestion! I will make sure I get better thermometers and hygrometers.

As for the lids. I have made sure they are EXTRA escapeproof. I've had my KS escape a couple times. SO i have lids with lock on them for both tanks. Also, I have extra locks on them just to be safe.

With my KS' setup, I actually found out when I brought it home that the thick, twisting log I have in there doubles as a hide. It has a holy going through it that Twiggy loves to go through and stay for a while. THere is also a hallowed out end where she can have total privacy.

Apparently the BP already favors one of his hides. The cave one on the far left. Is there anyway I can get him to use more of the one on the far right? YOu cant really see that its a hide. (because of the leaves blocking it from the view of the camera). But, Its a hollowed out tree trunk looking hide (artificial of course) that I thought he'd enjoy. Ive seen him hanging out on the top part of it, but not in the actual hide itself.

Thanks

Nice setups and even nicer snakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggy93
    Apparently the BP already favors one of his hides. The cave one on the far left. Is there anyway I can get him to use more of the one on the far right? YOu cant really see that its a hide. (because of the leaves blocking it from the view of the camera). But, Its a hollowed out tree trunk looking hide (artificial of course) that I thought he'd enjoy. Ive seen him hanging out on the top part of it, but not in the actual hide itself.
    BPs will usually pick a hide, if there is a choice, for security over temperature. The best way to get them to feel comfy in either hide so they can thermoregulate as they need to is to have duplicate hides, so I would recommend adding an additional hide that is identical to the current hide Biscuits already prefers.

We had the same issue with our bp, so we removed the half log hide she never seemed to like and replaced with a duplicate - and now she thermoregulates regularly. =)

Oh, and BPs like their hides "cramped"; squishing themselves into tight, dark places makes them feel more secure.
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

I just have one comment on this thread so far. It has been suggested that you remove your sticky thermometers and throw them away. My suggestion would be that if they are already there, leave them and use them for what they are worth. Here is my explanation. Go get a good thermometer and check the temps in the cage. Reference the temps of the digital, suppossed more accurate thermometer, and make a mental note of the two temperatures. Use the sticky thermometer as a way to measure changes in temperature. Even thought the sticky thermometer may not be accurate as far as temperature goes, it can be a useful tool to glance at quickly and know if temperatures in your tank are rising or falling due to some unknown factor. An example would be, your digital thermometer says that the ambient air temp of your tank is 85 degrees farenheit, yet your sticky claims it to be 78 degrees. Your tank actually has ideal air temps. However, you walk by your tank four times a day, and your sticky always reads between 77 and 79 degrees. One day you walk by and notice that your sticky reads 83 degrees. You know at a quick glance that the temperature in your tank has risen and needs to be investigated. Just because a piece of equipment is not extremely accurate, does not mean it does not have a use. I say leave it in there, but go get another thermometer that is more accurate.
    Thanks,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

I would not rely on the sticky thing. I still say stick it in the trash. You should just get the indoor/outdoor thermometer and always have it in the tank.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Just from my point of view, stick on thermometers belong on fish tanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast