Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,296

1 members and 3,295 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Western Hognose Back on Feed!! Woo Hoo

It could be coincidence, or it could be that "Lizard Maker" is a mircale cure.

I have a Western Hognose, that was supposed to be a female, but is pretty small, so we're wondering if "she's a he". Either way the little bugger went off feed about 4 months ago, at the time she weighed 72 grams.

We offered every possible combination of prey/preparation and location (in enclosure, out, in but inside another box), and she didn't seem to care.

She was down to 53 grams so I decided to try some lizard maker just for giggles and she ate a fuzzy.

The next night was regular feeding night for the rest of the snakes and while we were moving mice around she came out of her hide and was looking up at us from her enclosure. For grins we put a drop of lizard maker on a fuzzy and she ate it.

24 hours after the seconf fuzzy, she was up to 64 grams. About 30 hours after the second fuzzy she took a massive (for her) dump, it was normal looking, still a little wet with a small urate plug at one end.

Post poop weight was 60 grams. I'm going to attempt to feed her pretty often and see if I can get her up and over her pre-winter weight.

I might just buy a case of lizard maker.
    --
    Mike
    mike@payneland.com
    7 Snakes, 3 Cats, 5 Hermits, 2 Possums, 1 Leo and One Wife!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Western Hognose Back on Feed!! Woo Hoo

That's awesome news! As nervewracking as it is when a snake fasts...it is even more so when its a wee one who starts losing weight! Here's hoping for an ever-increasing appetite!
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Talking Re: Western Hognose Back on Feed!! Woo Hoo

I have a female Western Hognose that just loves rat pups...she will grab them from behind and eat them in a breech position. Perhaps you could try getting some rat pinks and using that lizard maker stuff when your Hognose gets a little bigger - I swear nothing will put weight on a snake faster than rats - you should see my beautiful hoggy....she is very plump and actually looks like a rattlesnake or something. Funny thing I have noticed about Hognoses is that they seem to have a much more alert demeanor to them than the average snake - when it is feeding time at my zoo ( ha ha ) she sticks her head out of her enclosure and looks expectant as if she knows it is chow call....Hognoses are really cool snakes I think.....

EyeLashViper

Thanks

That's good news!! My adult female "threatened" not to eat last week. She didn't show her usual enthusiasm for her mouse - she normally tries to rip my fingers off too LOL! Well after me fussing around her for a bit and wiggling it she decided to take it - I think she just got fed up with me irritating her But I'll remember that Lizard Maker stuff for future.

Thanks

The good news keeps coming, my "girl" ate 3 mouse fuzzies last night and would probably still be eating if I had thawed a dozen of them.

How big is a rat pup? I just can't get the image of a big-honking-rat out of my head when I hear "Rat" I'm sure they're little but how would a rat pup compare to a fuzzy mouse in size?

Thanks!
    --
    Mike
    mike@payneland.com
    7 Snakes, 3 Cats, 5 Hermits, 2 Possums, 1 Leo and One Wife!