Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,046

1 members and 3,045 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Dragon Wrassling

First let me say... Thanks Jo! Firm and calm! We had Neptune out today for a thorough cage cleaning (he decided it would be more fun to poo IN his hide than in front of like usual) and boy was that an adventure! Karen and I realized last night that we have never actually heard a snake hiss before today! THAT was a hiss!

I'm calmer than Karen with grumpy strikey critters so I donned the gloves while she got the fun job of poo cleanage. The bunnies and bird were put away for the evening, and Cleo was locked in the other room... She *loved* that. But better to play it safe! He was sitting on top of his hide sulking over the mess within as I reached in to lift him and he let out the biggest hiss I've ever heard!

I lifted him out with a good grip on his neck and let the rest of him wrap around my left arm. He hissed and swung at me a few more times, not real bites just swiping the glove. He'd calm down then start to gain a few more inches here or there out of my grip cuz he's *strong* then I'd readjust and he'd hiss again. Poor grumpy boy! I never flinched once tho, so I think he suspects who's boss I think he's really just trying to warn me off though rather than *really* bite me, but playing it safe with the gloves anywho. He's very happy today with a nice clean tub and good nights rest!

Sadly some gnats from Karen's nearby fern had gotten to the poo before we did, and it must have made him nuts :/ Poor baby... Gnats are my arch enemy, I *Hate* them. They are the only animal I really truely can't stand, even ants are cool so long as they're outside. Grrr... So no more gnats bothering our Neptune, that plant is now outside!

Ma-tsu also got a handling today. In fact, we cleaned out one of my big old tote bag purses just for her. So while I'm handling her, if she gets tired she can curl up in there and peek out while I clean house and such. SO cute. What different personalities!

Also, Gomez shed last night! I need to empty my camera!
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Dragon Wrassling

Neptune sounds like such a FUN snake! LOL I think you got the best of both worlds with those two!!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Glad to be of help Sheree. Sometimes it's pretty much like dealing with one of my kids when they had toddler temper tantrums or again when they hit those horrid, hormonal early teens years...firm, calm, be prepared for a battle if it comes, have a goal in mind and stick to your plan no matter how much they kick up a fuss about it. Oh and take the occasional bite as a matter of course LOL (amazing how hard a toddler can bite, snakes have nuthin on a ticked off 2 year old LOL).

Sounds like he pulled the same stuff Mz B did. Give an inch and she'd take it as an invitation to swing around for a fast bite attempt. Eventually she got the message that those antics weren't getting her whatever it was her snakey mind wanted so she just gave it up as a poor idea I guess. I figure they are survivors and if something isn't working, they adapt - trick is to get them to adapt in the direction you want (just my lil theory).

The one thing I would say is this, Neptune may be a challenge right now but he's teaching you more about handling snakes than a calmer one would. Mike and I learned and grew in confidence so much because of Brannagh and her attitude not despite it. Stuff we might not have learned so quickly if we'd never owned her.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

We really did get the best of both worlds! Poor Neptune though, seems like yesterday stressed him, he refused his rat today Everyone else ate like a pro (Heck, Ma-tsu practically got up and begged!) but Neptune decided his rat was better suited as a fuzzy headrest till he decided to retire to his hide. I keep thinking one medium rat is too small for them, but they're not that thick around just really long... maybe two small rats in the future like the fellow does in that Reptiles article.

Still, I'm proud of how yesterday went, I'm just not going to do it right before feeding day again. His behavior *totally* reminds me of your Mz B stories, Jo! And he really is teaching us a lot! Whew! And I love him for it. I keep calling him our dragon because he looks and acts like one. Intimidating but exciting and breathtaking all at once.

Ma-tsu is the complete opposite. If I lean over her tank she comes up to meet me, tongue flicking, and follows my movement all curious and sweet. They're unbelievable snakes, and I'm *very* interested in specializing in them. I couldn't ask for a better pair to give us experience on both sides of the spectrum.

Of course, Gomez is still our beloved squishy lapsnake who's our favorite for cuddles. Colubrids are so hyper! He just had a gorgeous shed too! Mon cher!

EDIT: And I know what you mean about kids, I used to work at a daycare. Karen has lamented before that it's a shame we can't reason with our animals like you can children, but I've assured her... that's not always true of children!! lol!
    Last edited by MedusasOwl; 03-20-2006 at 05:04 AM.
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Hmmm I believe I've heard of this concept of reasoning with one's children...might have to try it one day LOL. I think you and Karen are doing wonderfully well. It just takes time, patience and getting to understand the snake and I know you two are doing all those things. Congrats again on the wonderful improvements you've made in these two snake's lives!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thank you! We're doing our best and loving every minute! Big snake poo and all There's really not enough info on these Beauties out there (I know, I've scoured the web!) and hope to get a website dedicated to them up before too long. The more I learn, the more I'll add to the site!
    ~Sheree~

In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Reasoning with children? Nope, I've not tried that either. I prefer distraction techniques. You want a cookie? Look over there... a butterfly.

I've got a lot to catch up on, since I've been gone a week, but I can't wait to see your website. I know it will be wonderful, and don't forget to make sure there are lots of pics. Ma-tsu sounds like such a wonderful snake, and I'm sure Neptune will teach you oodles while he comes around.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    I prefer distraction techniques. You want a cookie? Look over there... a butterfly.
    LOL! I do this with Rick...You want a steak dinner? Look over there....shiny! (OooOoOoo!)

We finally saw the devil inside dear sweet calm Cleo last night...I think she's DEFINITELY got the feed routine down as she struck (but missed) at Rick and then tried to strike at me through the glass as I was readying the mousie to feed her (grabbing it with my hemostats to drop in the cage). FEED ME SEYMOUR!!!

Terrible feeding response, that one...yup!
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

I usually distract Mike from say the high electric bill by pointing and hollering..."look dear a bathing suit model with cold beer and Red Wings tickets!!!"...generally works well
    ~~Joanna~~