Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 648

2 members and 646 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Hots

Thanks

Beginning Hots

Obiviously Im not going to go out and buy one now but after I get some more experience what would be some good ideas to do to be ready for hots. Im not interested in the vipers and cobras but more the rattlers and copperheads.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Beginning Hots

If I wanted to start keeping hots, I would search out successful, experienced keepers and begin communicating with them and trying to find someone willing to teach. Best case would be to find someone local so you can get some visual lessons as well as written.

I might also check into volunteer situations at zoos or other local parks in your area that may keep hots on display.

And lastly, I would seek out some aggressive, but NON-venomous snakes to keep. I would use them to "practice" all the techniques needed to never, ever get bit.

OH...and I would check with local hospitals to see what sort of anti-venom they have on supply and make sure I had a supply of my own for stuff they might not carry. (And I understand that stuff is VERY VERY expensive.)
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

First off, Judy did great on that. Second, obviously check local laws. Then all the cage setups would have to be perfect and escape proof(again obviously). I was recomended by alot of people to get a coach whip or a tree boa. Im going with the coach whip for price reasons. And get great skills with hooks. Since you can NEVER free hand hots, thats one thing you have to be great at. I was told you can even hook you ball pythojns which is your choice just because hooking isnt something you can do. Work and work with it and you'll be on a good track

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

you may want to look into the impact of keeping hots on your insurance policies. if you have health insurance or homeowner insurance, you may find yourself either getting cancelled outright or your premiums going through the roof.

local laws also need to be carefully checked.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

I would first off check your local laws. Here in Omaha we can't keep hots legally. The best book I know of for hots is 'Venomous Snakes in Captivity' by BW smith
    http://www.venomousreptiles.org/revi...2312289613cae7
    I would read that book like its you life until you decide you may be ready. First thing IMO is first hand experience. Next you need to have a SECURE room with mesh over the vents and a sweep under the door. No clutter allowed. This will make it obvious if a snake has escaped and no where for him to hide will keep safety up. Snake hooks and Tongs are the basic tools of the trade. What would you consider keeping a hot in for a cage?
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

I have seen a special cage that some hot keepers use; it has a slide-in divider. The purpose is, to clean out one side of the cage, you slide the divider in so that the snake is not where it can reach you; clean that side, then get the snake to go over to that clean side; reinsert the divider and clean that part.
    The others already brought up the other points I was going to make.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Not to sound like a smart@$$, but once you've A) gained experience by being mentored by an established hot keeper & B) done a *TON* of homework on keeping hot snakes, you'd already know what species make "good" beginner hots (if there is indeed such a thing).

K~
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks

I*t does seem like it's definately a branch of the hobby that you'd definately need hands-on experience. Not just reading/online research; serious hands-on learning; because it's your life, others' lives, and the hobby's reputation at stake.. I know I will never keep venomous; for one thing, my reflexes suck. What reasons would you have for wanting to keep them (just curious?)
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

I started out this Beaded lizards an Gila monsters, then with the help of a local volenteer program in Tucson I started out with The WDB Rattlesnakes. They are quite calm compared to othe rattlers. every one is very right in that you should get hands on training with a expert. not jo blow down the road that "rescues hots" I also started out with hot insects and spiders. Scorpions are fun and the ones in pet stores (I cant even try and spell the name of them) the big black ones' the females can get really nasty. they wont kill you (unless you have a problem with bee stings) but there is another starter. I could be way off on this and if i am please feel free to correct me.

EDIT: alll of the animals above were worked with and handeled under my training program through Tucson Volenteer work at the Sonora Desert Muse.
    Jessica K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessie_k_pythons
    Scorpions are fun and the ones in pet stores (I cant even try and spell the name of them) the big black ones' the females can get really nasty. they wont kill you (unless you have a problem with bee stings) but there is another starter. I could be way off on this and if i am please feel free to correct me.
    I believe you are referring to Emperor Scorpions, and yes the sting is considered to be rather mild.

However, dealing with hot inverts, in my opinion, does not really prepare you to deal with hot herps. It is much easier to maintain and work with hot inverterbrates than say...a hot snake with a 2 foot strike range.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast