Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,114

1 members and 3,113 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Weird breeding question.

I know this would probably sound weird but today while I was feeding the snakes I came across a ball python book. I was reading about color and pattern variations and when they started talking about stripes they said that the stripe can be induced on the snake if you incubate the eggs at below optimal temps towards the end of the incubation time? Is this a bunch of bull, the book was published by T-Rex so its probably is a bunch of nonsense. But that has had me puzzeled all day.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Weird breeding question.

Well...the genetic stripe is a proven genetic, so I don't see how that one could have anything to do with the incubation process. But if they're saying that messing around with the temps will cause more striping in an otherwise normal bp....??? I have no idea...I suppose it's possible, but I've never heard of it.

But if I were incubating eggs, I'd be WAY more interested in being absolutely sure (as sure as anyone can be) of hatching out healthy animals, rather than goofing around with temps to try and manipulate non-genetic appearance.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    But if I were incubating eggs, I'd be WAY more interested in being absolutely sure (as sure as anyone can be) of hatching out healthy animals, rather than goofing around with temps to try and manipulate non-genetic appearance.
    I agree, the book was saying that when you do that then more of the snakes will have some kind of unusual pattern/color to it. It was just on my mind ALL day long and I just couldnt figure it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worldcupkeeper
    I agree, the book was saying that when you do that then more of the snakes will have some kind of unusual pattern/color to it.
    Sheeesh....can you imagine if that's true? How many unscrupulous people would (do???) intentionally alter the proper incubation temps in order to produce "unusual" looking balls...and then sell them for big bucks to some sucker who hopes it will be genetic.
    -- Judy

Thanks

There are a lot of problems with purposefully screwing with the temps during incubation. Organs can develop on the outside of the animal, skin disorders... as in not having any, it seems like it would be a rather large gamble to "guess" when the color was being "painted on" in order to change temps around.
    Ken