Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

2 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Smile breeding environment...?

Helllo...im new to the site.
    today i went to my snakes tank and found them "rubbing tails" so to speak. ive done alot of research about snakes but didnt find much about breeding.
    i did find one website that was helpful about it and all the pictures they had about the sankes breeding was exactly what my two snakes were doing.
    i was just wondering what the perfect breeding environment for my snakes would be...or the mama...
    any answers would be VERY helpful...these snakes are my everything and i just want them to be happy...especially while mating =)

peace 'n love.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: breeding environment...?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops81
    i was just wondering what the perfect breeding environment for my snakes would be.
    One where they're not housed together.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    One where they're not housed together.

-adam
    ha...the reason that i have them housing together is because got Turtle, my female, just after christmas and she had a tank of her own. we went back to the breeding center that i got Turtle from because its an awesome place just to see whats new and there was a ball python, half off because no one wanted him due to the fact that he had one eye...this would be the male, Cyclops. we didnt have a tank for him but me and my boyfriend being animal lovers couldnt leave without him. (we also have a third ball python). so we put him in the tank with Turtle. they got along awesome and if they happened to mate...which hey hey hey there doin it...we would do whats best and make sure they are comfortable in every way possible. this being the reason i joined this website...i love to learn as much as i can about them to better our relationship. i love to make sure that they are well taken care of and having babies on the way...i want to make sure that they are taken care of even more...so they are happy and in hopes that everything goes well.

i just need a little help with what to do!
    Peace 'n Love...-Cheryl Ann.

Thanks

If you house BPs together they can become stressed and some even go off feed because of it. There's a bunch of info on breeding on this forum. If you can, just use the search box and you should find the answers your looking for. Can I ask how you have your tank/cage setup? Hot spot temp, humidity, etc...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    If you house BPs together they can become stressed and some even go off feed because of it. There's a bunch of info on breeding on this forum. If you can, just use the search box and you should find the answers your looking for. Can I ask how you have your tank/cage setup? Hot spot temp, humidity, etc...
    i have their tank setup as follows:

on the left side of the tank i have their hiding rock and underneath on the outside below the rock is a heating pad. on top of the cage centered in the middle i have a 50 watt red-light near the water dish. and to the very right i have the "cooling spot" which consists of not a lot of heat. i made a hammock for them to hang out in or as they choose...under and that is located on the far right.
    they are always together...either in the rock or under the hammock. they even drink at the same time. they are also VERY well behaved. Cyclops is just alittle jumpy due to the fact that he has one eye...but never strikes at anything.
    they both eat fine and everytime i get them food they eat it...no hesistation. these snakes are extremely friendly and get handled plenty.
    the temp in the tank stays about 73 to 75.
    they shed fine and i mist the cage every night before i go to bed. when they are shedding i usually soak them in this huge bowl that i have...i put warm water in it and a face cloth and they rub on it and thats usually when all the skin comes off.
    they have leaves over by the rock because i wanted the left side of the cage to be their little safe spot so to speak where they an hide in the leaves and it feels safer than just having a rock there.
    i keep the tank and all of the accessories in it clean.
    tomoro we are going to Zoo Creatures to get new bedding.

Thanks

Tank temps for ball pythons should be 90-95F on the hot side of the enclosure and about 80-85F on the cool side. What is your humidity kept at? And when they shed do they shed in one piece or in various pieces. Also how do you monitor the temp of the heating pad have you probed it?

Thanks

Tank temps for ball pythons should be 90-95F on the hot side of the enclosure and about 80-85F on the cool side. What is your humidity kept at? And when they shed do they shed in one piece or in various pieces. Also how do you monitor the temp of the heating pad have you probed it?
    i feel like im doing something wrong or something...i just came on here to ask about breeding and i feel like you guys think i did something that i shouldnt have done. im not mad that my snakes are breeding...i just wanted advice with it. my snakes shed, if they shed in their tank do shed in one piece and when i soak them in the water bowl they shed in big pieces. i have a little stick on thermometer on the back of the glass...so its probably just measuring the temp of the glass. my snakes arent showing any signs of being unhappy. they never act like they are too hot or too cold. they do as they please and i just want a little info about breeding.

are you trying to help me?? like are you just curious about my snakes or are you just grilling me??

Thanks

I am trying to help you I told you in another post that you can use the search option on this forum to find information on breeding quite efficiently. I dont want to tell you that your doing something wrong but if you say your temps are 75 degrees in your tank I know that to be incorect temps for a BP. You can find in any caresheet for Ball pythons that the hot spot and cool side of your enclosure should be as I explained to you in my last post. Undertank heaters can sore up in temps to up to 100 degress if not controlled by something like a thermostat. Please don't take it wrong I'm just telling you what I know to be fact. Also when you say that your thermometer is "probably" reading the glass temp, why don't you place it to read the actual temps of your tank? Just a suggestion. Again, I'm not trying to grill you at all just trying to help.

Thanks

I am trying to help you I told you in another post that you can use the search option on this forum to find information on breeding quite efficiently. I dont want to tell you that your doing something wrong but if you say your temps are 75 degrees in your tank I know that to be incorect temps for a BP. You can find in any caresheet for Ball pythons that the hot spot and cool side of your enclosure should be as I explained to you in my last post. Undertank heaters can sore up in temps to up to 100 degress if not controlled by something like a thermostat. Please don't take it wrong I'm just telling you what I know to be fact. Also when you say that your thermometer is "probably" reading the glass temp, why don't you place it to read the actual temps of your tank? Just a suggestion. Again, I'm not trying to grill you at all just trying to help.
    thanks for helping me.
    the only thermometer that i have in the tank is a little cling on one but it only reads the temp of the glass. but the snakes act fine. when its bedtime i shut off the light and if they arent already in it they go in their rock. and then they wake up usually when i turn the lamp back on. i check on them a few times between waking up and going to bed. and most days they are out of the tank.
    im honestly not sure of the temps in the tank to the exact number but the snakes act fine. ive done plenty of research on signs that the temps are wrong but they dont show any at all. ill place the thermometer where the heating pad is to see what the actual temp is and then ill place it where the cool spot is.
    thanks for helping me though. i just thought you were grilling me cuz i was new and my snakes are mating or something. sorry =)
    id love anymore advice though...

Thanks

No problem. I'm going to provide a link to a care sheet that might help you take better care of your snakes not that your doing a bad job because like you said you don't really know the exact temps inside the tank (which you really should).

Here's the link
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=52

Breeding Link:
    http://ballpythons.ca/gallery/breeding.html

With temps lower than 80 Degrees your snakes can develop RI (respiratory infection) this can also be spread from snake to snake. So since you have yours housed together they can both get it easily. This is something I have learned on this forum. If you house snakes together if one of them gets sick so does the other and so on, Hope the links help.

- Rusty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast