Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,146

0 members and 1,146 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Red face So what is the deal with Pine/Bullsnakes???

Hey everybody,
    So what do you all think about Pine or Bullsnakes? I recently purchased a juvenile Bullsnake and I must say it has a real attitude problem.He is a great feeder and tolerates being handled but also likes to hiss rather loudly and will strike on occasion although it appears to be with his mouth shut at the time as I have not been bitten or anything. I find this to be a very interesting snake. I have heard that they can get up to seven or so feet long and four or five pounds..... sounds like they can be a real handfull....I was just wondering what all of you out there know about this genus of snakes...Pits or Pituophis species....I rather like referring to them as pits because of the meanness that they seem to share with Pit bull dogs...ha ha ha....I was watching my Bullsnake hiss at me and he looked horribly mad the way he was flexing and contorting his jaws...he looked rather like this photo I have of an inland taipan - mean and ugly.Well, if any of you have any advice on husbandry of these guys let me know...

The EyeLashViper

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: So what is the deal with Pine/Bullsnakes???

How old is your new bullsnake? As babies, they can be quite aggressive, but almost all the time, it is all bluff and little-to-no bite. With calm, consistent, gentle handling, they will settle down, especially as they grow larger and don't feel quite so threatened by the world around them.

I love the entire Pituophis genus. I have a cape gopher myself, and he was very hissy and nervous when we first got him, but he settled down quickly and has been a pleasure to own and handle. He won't get nearly so big as a bullsnake though. I'd love to have a few of those someday.

They aren't particular about humidity. Mine has perfect sheds every time, whether we live in humid Alabama, or dry-dry Arizona. And they're more sensitive to getting too hot than they are too cold. I don't know if bulls are as sensitive as capes, but I know if I were to let mine get above about 85 degrees after a meal, he would probably regurge.

All in all, very easy animals to care for, and a fascinating creature to watch grow and get to know!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Attitude=Character. Gotta love em!

Thanks

i love those snakes... i saw an adult albino bull at the last herp show i went to and it was truly awesome. the color, size, and shape of the body and head is just cool.

a nice alternative to larger, less hardy snakes for those that want a big constrictor.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

Gopher snakes are the same way. My son's albino sonoran loves to hiss and strike (mouth closed). He even rattles his tail in the substrate. He tames down rather quickly when handled, and seems to be mellowing with age (he's almost a year old now.)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have a Florida Pine and he does the same thing. BIG OL" HISSER. As for striking with ther mouth shut, that's what they do. As many times he has lunged at me there has never been any teeth marks. And oh what a voracious eater he is. He eats just about anything dead or alive. I feed him sm. f/t rats. I fed him a live one once, he hit it so hard that he tore the rats leg right off. Man what a bloody mess. That was his last live feeding. What cool snake though. Too bad they're overlooked. By the way here is Mr. Burns. I think he looks like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons. Ol' mean and crabby.

[/img]

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oohhhh, he's beautiful!! And I'm in 100% agreement with you. Pituophis are way too overlooked as wonderful snakes to own.
    -- Judy