Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,708

1 members and 2,707 guests
Lixx,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

wanting mali uromastyx, advice?

Okay, so I been visiting a mali at the pet store for a few weeks now, and I want him. I love how these guys seem to have serious personallities of their own (Like my doofus ball python). What is the minimum housing, heating and lighting requirements, and how good of pets do they really make?. thanks.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: wanting mali uromastyx, advice?

I don't have a Uri (yet) but I understand the care isn't much different from a bearded dragon. Here's a link to the site's care sheet. http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=21

Thanks

Their care requirements are a bit different from a beardie. First off, their enclosure needs to be HOT. 115-130 degrees in the basking area down to high 80s/low 90s on the other end. Unlike beardies, the bulk of their diet has to come from vegetables (turnip green, curly endive, collard greens, carrots, squash). They can have crickets or mealworms occasionally. They dont require any water except from the washed, fresh vegetables they get daily. They are a very interesting pet but make sure you are prepared to meet their requirements. The best site to learn about them is:

http://jason.creager.com/uros.html

Good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    Their care requirements are a bit different from a beardie. First off, their enclosure needs to be HOT. 115-130 degrees in the basking area down to high 80s/low 90s on the other end. Unlike beardies, the bulk of their diet has to come from vegetables (turnip green, curly endive, collard greens, carrots, squash). They can have crickets or mealworms occasionally. They dont require any water except from the washed, fresh vegetables they get daily. They are a very interesting pet but make sure you are prepared to meet their requirements. The best site to learn about them is:

http://jason.creager.com/uros.html

Good luck!
    Very correct info Jamie... thanks for sharing!

I would like to add, they do need UV lighting like a bearded. URO's are really neat. Also, unless you get the uro from a REPUTABLE source, it is very likely that it is an import. Most uros that are found in pet stores, are not captive bred... if they tell you they are.. I would be very hesitant to believe them. There are few reputable sources out there that do have captive bred species of uros, but you must be prepared to fork over the cash, they are not cheap. If I were you, be prepared to spend the extra cash it will take to get a captive bred uro rather than a import, there are just way too many issues you could end up dealing with when purchasing an import, and because they are expensive to set up right to begin with, it is senseless to buy a cheap uro that is an import who may end up costing you just as much and likely more than if you had forked over the cash for a captive bred uro. Take this advice from me, I experienced this already!
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

True enough on all accounts Jeanne. They absolutely REQUIRE UVB lighting. This can either be in the source of unfiltered sunlight or a UVB bulb (I use the Zoomed Reptisun 8.0 bulb). They are fairly easy to take care of if you follow all the requirements but a captive bred Uro will give you way less problems. Enjoy the licky lizards!