Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 990

2 members and 988 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: The Shedding Process

awesome article, i love that video too. great job!!
    -marshall

Registered User phoenix-dancing's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey Daniel -- Thank you for the reply. That does make me feel better....it just kind of concerned me and I could think was "poor girl that had to hurt". Trust me if I came home to her bleeding -- she would be scooped up and rushed to a vet. I am very lucky -- her vet is one of the guys on Animal Planet here in Denver and he is awesome but just did not want to pay for a visit for a question. So thanks!!! I just did not know if I could do anything to make it better for her....

♫ I live on an island way out in the sea ♫
    Thanks

Sometimes my snake has trouble shedding and won't go in his water dish so I have to soak him and gently rub him with a cloth. I found a book that told me to do that and it works, I was just wondering if its ok to do that? He doesn't have trouble often but sometimes he doesn't get it all off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catzeye21138
    . I found a book that told me to do that and it works.
    What is that book? I just rescued a ball and I have never had any type of retiles before. So I have no idea what I am looking for or what is normal. She is starting to shed but it's not all in one peice, its in peices. (Probably due to her not having any water for over 2 1/2 weeks at her old home. Did I mention rescue??) I would also appreciate any help anyone could give me as well. I have found a lot of information here in the forum which I greatly appreciate, but I am looking for someone I can email my stupid overprotective first time snake owner questions to. Anyone interested?? <smile>

Thanks

She is starting to shed but it's not all in one peice, its in peices.
    A healthy ball python is optimal conditions will shed in one piece, with no retained skin. (ideally, though some just retain skin for no good reason at all).

Technically, she's already finished her shedding process and the skin you see now is what is called "retained shed."

Soak her for 30 mins, and then use a damp towel to remove the excess skin. Kind of hold her in the damp towel and work the skin off with your hands.
    -Brad

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Hi guys,

It's my first post here on pythons.net

I am about to have a twin shedding week-end (at least I think)
    My Ball & my Surinam Boa both have milky eyes, with dull colors...it has to be shedding.

One thing struck me is the fall in activity. Both snakes toped being active even during the night. They just stand there and move only to change positions.

My Ball hides in his hide box (its been almost 3 days.) usually at night he was a really active snake. Temp is good and humidity is is at 68%.

Is this normal ( since both snakes are doing the same thing)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks

I've always heard and seen that you should handle your snake during every aspect of it's life. I can soak Loki, take him for a walk, even feed him during a shed....and he won't eat anything but live rats.
    Merlin (the wild caught) I'm still working on, and he's not comfortable eating during a shed, but he'll allow me to handle him.
    Yes, I know that every animal is different, but I honestly believe that if you handle your snakes enough, it creates a trust between you and your pet.
    What happens if there's an emergency and you have to move a shedding snake?
    Or a snake that has just eaten? If your snake is the grumpy kind, you're more than likely gonna walk away with teeth marks because your snake wasn't used to being handled.
    Loki Kali
    Merlin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SnakieMom For This Useful Post:

MJ_Bosley (06-13-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I just read this and it's a great post. Very informative too. First time I actually noticed my snake's stomach was pink before a shed, I freaked out. lol

SnakieMom, I agree with you. I can handle Phleg durring his shed, but he hisses at me to let me know he's not happy about it. ;3

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Styx For This Useful Post:

MJ_Bosley (06-13-2017)

Thanks

Wow, very well done and thouroghly done. Thanks for "Guide to shedding for idiots"! Now I feel that I know just what to look for and can take extra care in handling and cleaning while my little guy enters this wonderful stage of growth process!

Thanks

ok sorry to ask but my bp shed for the first time, i kno because his eyes are not light blue anymore, but his skin isn't no where to be found; i was just wondering if they sometimes will eat their skin becasue i kno geckos eat theirs .
    im just wondering thanks

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast