Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,977

0 members and 2,977 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Thanks

Cool

really very great. your the master dear

Thanks

Re: The Shedding Process

Thank you very much for writing this! I am a new Bp owner. I did my research before I chose this reptile as a pet! I was aware of the shedding process, but I wasn't sure what it would look like in the steps youve provided. I noticed on Monday that my little one started looking dull/dehydrated and her eyes started looking opaque. Because of this article I didn't spaz out thinking that there was something wrong with her! Hopefully I can witness her crawling out of her old skin and see her beautiful new skin!!

Thanks

This article is great,it answered some questions I had,and cleared up a few things I wasn't sure of ,2 of my girls are in shed now,with their eyes started to get that blue tint,and very very dull colored compared to my other girl who isn't showing signs of shedding.Seeing as Sphinx started about 2 days ago,and Phoenix started today with the shedding process,I didn't feed them,as I wasn't sure if I should,they will be hungry girls when its the next feeding time after they shed! Hopefully I can get some pictures of them shedding =).Anybody know what the average shedding time is,or does it vary from snake to snake?I had a kingsnake that would do a shed cycle in about 3-4 days

Thanks

Thank you Daniel. We (my 7 yr old daughter) have our very first baby Bp aka Snakey, about 20" long now. We got him from Petsmart and he was real skinny. We've had him for two months now and he is getting nice and fat! We'll we took him for a bath and his eyes looked hazy. We put the humidity chamber (Rubbermaid bowl with moss) in his enclosure and the next morning he went in there. It's been three days and he hasn't come out. According to your article, he may stay in there the whole time...14 days? Should we just wait for him to come out? Is there a time when we should start to be concerned?

Kim and Madeline

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kconvy View Post
    Thank you Daniel. We (my 7 yr old daughter) have our very first baby Bp aka Snakey, about 20" long now. We got him from Petsmart and he was real skinny. We've had him for two months now and he is getting nice and fat! We'll we took him for a bath and his eyes looked hazy. We put the humidity chamber (Rubbermaid bowl with moss) in his enclosure and the next morning he went in there. It's been three days and he hasn't come out. According to your article, he may stay in there the whole time...14 days? Should we just wait for him to come out? Is there a time when we should start to be concerned?

Kim and Madeline

Ball pythons will often stay hiding for their entire shed cycle. It is best to just leave them alone at this time since they are probably very uncomfortable!

Hold off on the bath next time. All they need from you during a shed cycle is increased humidity. Soaking before a shed can actually cause a bad shed sometimes since it strips the oils on the skin that they use for shedding.

It is okay to check on him every day or two just to make sure he is still in there and breathing! lol I get paranoid about my little ones
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post

Ball pythons will often stay hiding for their entire shed cycle. It is best to just leave them alone at this time since they are probably very uncomfortable!

Hold off on the bath next time. All they need from you during a shed cycle is increased humidity. Soaking before a shed can actually cause a bad shed sometimes since it strips the oils on the skin that they use for shedding.

It is okay to check on him every day or two just to make sure he is still in there and breathing! lol I get paranoid about my little ones

Thanks

Post Re: The Shedding Process

Ok, so I should open the Rubbermaid top and check on him? Should I wet the moss if it is dry and put the lid back on?

We took him a bath because he ate a piece of Aspen bedding a month ago when he was eating his pinky (since then we feed only on newspaper) and I have never seen him poop it out. Just small liquid poops, so I was worried about that stupid piece of aspen. He's eaten a lot of fuzzy's over the last two months and hardly no poop! Anyway, we noticed his hazy eyes in the bath tub and so we put the humidity chamber in the cage that night. I saw him early next morning crawl in there. He even pushed the moss the the hole is covered up!

I just was getting worried if he's alright in there since we can't see him at all. He looked really healthy going in, so I guess I shouldn't worry so much. It's a mom's job to worry, though! :P:)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kconvy View Post
    Ok, so I should open the Rubbermaid top and check on him? Should I wet the moss if it is dry and put the lid back on?

We took him a bath because he ate a piece of Aspen bedding a month ago when he was eating his pinky (since then we feed only on newspaper) and I have never seen him poop it out. Just small liquid poops, so I was worried about that stupid piece of aspen. He's eaten a lot of fuzzy's over the last two months and hardly no poop! Anyway, we noticed his hazy eyes in the bath tub and so we put the humidity chamber in the cage that night. I saw him early next morning crawl in there. He even pushed the moss the the hole is covered up!

I just was getting worried if he's alright in there since we can't see him at all. He looked really healthy going in, so I guess I shouldn't worry so much. It's a mom's job to worry, though!
    I think it would be fine to get the moss damp again and just check that he is okay. If you notice that he looks back to normal, don't worry! They clear up right before they shed.

As for ingesting aspen, it really isn't a huge deal. They digest bone just fine so a wood chip here and there shouldn't bring need for concern. You can probably start feeding him something much bigger. Hatchling ball pythons are started on hopper mice (bigger than fuzzies) and quickly move to small adult mice. If you are uncertain if you are feeding your snake enough, pick up a kitchen scale that weighs in grams and weigh your snake and the food. Your snakey should be eating 10-15% of its body weight every 5-7 days.
    ~Steffe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (01-31-2016)

Thanks

Not finished?

This was a great article thanks for sharing. My snake just had her first shed and it wasn one big shed but stages. I think that's okay cause she shedding up to her last part but she still had t shredded her final bit. I have checked on her and its still there. What should I do? The humidity is appropriate for shedding and the temperature is perfect. Will she finish or should I do something to help her?

Thanks

My new little ball python just got its cloudy eyes today. I know you mention that they may not eat but he has been a good eater from the beginning. Monday would be his feeding. Should I try to feed or just leave him? I also noticed that when I pick him up he just gets real cozy and doesn't move much. So should I also stop picking him up while shedding too? I am really new at this.
    thanks
    viviane

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast