Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,048

1 members and 3,047 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Unhappy some one please help me!!!!!!!!!

this morning i went to feed my amevia and i noticed his right arm was swollen and looked like he cut him self on some thing and swelled up. its almost double the size of his other leg he is in a 15 gallon tank with about 3 or 4 inches of eco earth and repti bark. the are 3 peices of slate rock 2 for him to burrow under and 1 that hold up a peice of wood used for basking. the temps are 95 basking and about 80 on the other side the humidity is at 50. the first thing that came to mind was he hurt himself burrowing under the rocks. im going to try to get a pic of his arms and stuff. do you think it is some thing i should worry about or will it go down on its own? i feel like its my fault.

Thanks

Re: some one please help me!!!!!!!!!

What kind of lizard is it? Does it require UV light, and if so, is it getting it?

Thanks

They are a type of dwarf tegu
    http://www.anapsid.org/ameiva.html

Like most diurnal lizards, they will benefit from UVB lighting.
    Sorry that's about as much as I can help out!

Jason
    Jason

Thanks

It sounds like a trip to the vet for some antibiotics are in order. If it's infected it may need to be drained and then put on antibiotics to clear things up. Sorry, I know that's not much immediate help, but it's probably the best thing.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

thanks and he is the type that need the uv. he has a lamp with a 60 watt bulb. that gives him all the heat and lighting. it come on around 6:45AM and turns off at 8:45pm just for the winter and when it gets hot again it on at 8:45 AM and turn off at 8:45pm.

about how much do you think it will cost to get him well again? i get a 40 dollar allowence weekly so hopefully it wont take long to get the money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd
    thanks and he is the type that need the uv. he has a lamp with a 60 watt bulb. that gives him all the heat and lighting. it come on around 6:45AM and turns off at 8:45pm just for the winter and when it gets hot again it on at 8:45 AM and turn off at 8:45pm.

about how much do you think it will cost to get him well again? i get a 40 dollar allowence weekly so hopefully it wont take long to get the money.
    Danny, if you are just using a 60w heat lamp they are not designed to put out UVB, to do that you will need a fluorescent tubes such as the ReptiSun, or ReptiGlo.

Has he been without UVB for qutie some time, I was just doing a bit of reading and found that his problem, which I guess is fairly common in dwarf tegus could be Metabolic Bone Deficiency which can be displayed by swollen limbs.

Cost of the vet visit and care is going to depend on what your vet charges...I would consider this a necessity to take your ameiva to the vet, your parents need to understand that the situation should be taken care of, so hopefully they will help you out.

Jason
    Last edited by jknudson; 02-27-2006 at 09:48 PM.
    Jason

Thanks

im going to get the proper lighting this weekend. i always thought that those bulbs i buy in the petstore all gave off UVB. My mistake (wow what a way to start the week).

im going to get him to the vet as soon as i can. told my mom but she doesnt look to happy. i will be paying for most of it anyway. something like this cant really be fatal right. i bought him as a birthday present to my self. i dont want to see him do out like this.

Thanks

Normally not fatal, but the fluid in the legs could be from an infection...you'll definitely find out when you take it in to the vet.
    Jason