Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

3 members and 3,207 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Phoenix Expo Follow up: Offer we couldn't refuse.

Meet Ma-tsu and Neptune!

He made us an offer we couldn't refuse. Ma-tsu and Neptune are an adult breeding pair of blue beauty snakes. Big, gorgeous, and now ours. Yes. We were bad. We said no more critters, and we don't have a lot of room (as JLC can now attest to!). But the snakes are an established breeding pair, the cage came with (although Neptune badly needs a room of his own, I'm going to get him a nice sized tub today so he can have his own space) at a *very* decent price as the guy's retiring from the hobby, especially considering that when they do breed they'll pay for themselves several times over. It was an incredible opportunity, and Karen and I agreed that we couldn't pass it up!

I've been feeling antsy to make more income on my end around here, and I tend to do that best doing what I love. Well, I love art and I love snakes. So art commissions and snakes it be. It feels right.

Of course, it wasn't all business. Ma-tsu is BEYOND sweet. Tame as a BP. Soon as they guy came over she went straight to my face and gave me a tongue flick. In love! She charmed me right off, and I even walked around the expo with her. She curled up for a nap in my purse. Sweet sweet snake! And so gorgeous! Amarin and I met one of my pals from ball-pythons.net Judy and her charming daughter Petra, and Judy lead me right to the Blue Beauties... Oh... Ma-tsu... Couldn't leave without her... Neptune... well, he's got an attitude and will be a lot of work. But they're gorgeous and well worth it.

There's hurdles to get over. They're used to feeding live (hopefully I can switch them over to frozen/thawed, ratsnakes aren't usually all that picky if not I'll feed them what they'll eat), they're normally only fed every 2 weeks, and they're stressed from sharing the same enclosure for years. Ma-tsu is clearly dominating and stressing Neptune pretty bad, which aside from not being handled much is part of why he's so grumpy. I was also told that Neptune is uber grumpy when he's hungry like now so... erm, once a week makes a lot more sense to me as he's so testy about it. Less hungry! Ma-tsu is 7 years old, Neptune is 8. They can live a good 30 to 35 years. After we gave the enclosure a *good* scrubbing down (yick!) we set them up for now on the coffee table. No cords necessary as they require temps from 75-80 degrees... no prob! Too many cords for bunnies to nibble on with the BPs, so bedroom only for him/eventually them, and NO room in there. I also got a pair of gloves in the deal for Neptune and a ratsnake book with some great breeding and species info and art inspiring pictures. The guy said he'd send me a magazine he'd saved that was all specifically on Blue Beauties if he can find it.

We're very excited and nervous all at once!

Judy has a van and was UBER sweet to help us get the whole shebang back to the apartment and take pics even, and Jess got herself a beautiful little baby California King named Voodoo! Didn't get a *ton* of pics, but got a few! I was a little distracted... understandably I think!

Me and Ma-tsu!

This is Neptune. He is not for cuddling! Hopefully with some good husbandry and patience he'll calm down though.

Here's Ma-tsu again, exploring a bit before piling back on poor Neptune's head... She'd had a *long* day and hissed to let us know she was done with handling when we got her out of the bag. So in the tank to relax and explore she went!

I kinda wish I'd taken "before" pics of the tank. Nastiness! It looked like months worth of gunk in there! Lots of old bits of shed and unidentifyable yick! Poor babies. We scrubbed it out, put in Carefresh substrate, added temp hides (which they ignore, I will get better ones though I understand BBs rarely use them anyway) and put the fake plants in (after cleaning those too! Bleh) The sacks on the couch there are the poor bagged beauties.

There's only really room for one Blue Beauty in this tank, as you can see. They're big snakes! But they've made due for years, they can hang in there another day or two. Poor Neptune.

And last, but never least... Jess (aka Amarin) and Voodoo! He was TOO cute wrapped around her thumb like that! Personable little dude!

All in all, it was a very overwhelming maybe little too eventful expo! /(Ovo)\ But hey... if I can actually make money at this... *knocks on wood!* And wow, they're surreal... Karen commented "So THIS is where Asian Dragon paintings come from!" they really do look like beautiful ribbony dragons... I'm a bit dazed that they're ours... So is Karen. I'd planned to get a baby girl someday in the future... then a breeding pair of adults falls into our lap! Well, will probably still get that baby girl just not how I expected.

So far, personality wise, Ma-tsu is a curious curious girl! I put hides in there, but they're not really interested in hiding. She moves around, rests her head on the hides to watch the doves and us and bunnies, explores... Very sweet and curious. Wants to know what's going on! Neptune on the other hand seems to have retreated into his own world. He remains coiled up very still glowering all the time while Ma-tsu basically uses him as a bump in the road. Somebody's a bit henpecked. Very very grumpy. I really want to make the guy's life better. Gonna run out and look for a nice big clear tub for him today as well as get some food for them! It's probably been weeks since they ate. They're on medium rats, I was told.

So... erm... yes... project! I do want to eventually get much nicer set-ups for them. Lots of tetris is being played, but a lack of need of heat is a huge help for avoiding bunny mischief. When one day we move out of AZ though, we'll get uths for them. But as is, our constant room temp is perfect.

It's all a bit overwhelming, but I'm in love with these guys and he said we have a good 5 or 6 months before they're going to want to hook up with each other. Which is good, because we have a *LOT* of planning to do if we're going to let them this year. Right now concern is making their living conditions better.
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Phoenix Expo Follow up: Offer we couldn't refuse.

Congratulations! They are flippin' gorgeous!

I've always been captivated by these, well, beauties , and you just may have yourself a customer in the future!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

~happy, happy sigh~

The previous owners were so concerned about them going to a good home....but I'm quite sure they're getting a much better home than they've ever had before.

I have a feeling that, while Neptune may never be a "lap snake" like Ma-Tsu, he will calm down a lot once he has his own space and a full tummy.

They are so beautiful and I'm quite hooked on them now, myself! I may be a future customer as well, someday...when I get to the place where I can really start building a collection.

It was a pleasure and an honor to be a part of this experience with you!

Oh, and that picture of Jess with Voodoo on her thumb is just TOO cute!!
    -- Judy

Thanks

congrats! You have a few beauties there
    0.1 BP - Karma
    1.0 JCP - Tre
    0.1 RTB - Pixel
    1.0 Burm - Boost
    ---- non herp
    1.0 Lab Mix - Gauge
    0.1 Black Cat - Chloe
    1.0 Boy Toy - Jared

Thanks

Ok. Those guys look really awesome. I had to google them (Elaphe taeniura sp). I'm just looking cause I'm curious .

Congrats Medusa!!! I hope they do well for you. They are really sweet looking.

Tony.....

3.1 Crumb Snatchers
    0.1 Domestic Engineer

Thanks

Wow, congratulations!!! They're beautiful! I'm sure you still have a busy day ahead getting Neptune settled into his own home...=)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Congrats on the new addition! Blue beauties was what first popped in my head, but I thought no way would you actually just happen to find them. Then I started thinking gecko. It just seems like fate that these two should fall into your lap. I'm so happy for you guys. Good luck getting the two separated and that boy tamed down a bit. That's just awesome!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

They are gorgeous! I have no doubt that they will have a great home with you and Karen! Best of luck!

Jamie

Thanks

Oh wow and wow again! Two of them! Adults! Oh congrats to both of you!

I dug up this thread about these huge plastic tubs they sell at WalMart that might do just the trick for the male and for only $19.99 Even though they are sold for Xmas Tree storage they might have some still left in a back corner and they retail for only $19.99

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ight=Xmas+tree

Many congrats! Sign me up for a baby someday! They are gorgeous!

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

"I'm definitely not getting any snakes at the show."

Famous last words, Sheree!

Beautiful ratsnakes there. I think their pattern is very interesting how it changes in stages from head to tail.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast