Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

1 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Why do people neglect their dogs?

Sorry guys, but I really need to vent a little.

Some of you may not know that I am a dog groomer, so I see all kinds of dogs in all kinds of conditions. Now, it's very VERY unusual for someone with a long coated/non shedding breed to actually take care of the coat.. but there's a big range here.

For instance, today I had two lhasa apsos. Both were severely matted. The lady couldn't even get the male dog's collar off! I had to practically skin the dog to get the mats off, (yes the whole fur can come off in one piece) and both ears were infected because they hadn't been plucked or cleaned in who knows how long.. The female was even worse, her little girl parts looked rotted.. black and swollen. I just can't believe people let their dogs get like this.

So.. if you want a long coated dog, YES, you have to brush it! It takes 10 minutes twice a week and you've got a beautiful, healthy dog! Agh!

*off the soapbox*

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Why do people neglect their dogs?

Poor little puppies!!!
    -- Judy

Thanks

It's just very frustrating.. you explain to the owner what they need to do.. they say 'uh-huh' and bring the dog back a few months later in exactly the same condition.

I know you guys would understand.

April

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah....I've seen that a lot, especially with herps, but I know it happens a lot with all pets. People come asking for advice on how to take care of them or fix the problems they've already created....and when you offer them timely and well-thought advice, all they come back with are excuses about why THEY can't/won't follow a single stitch of advice they've just asked for.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Yeah exactly. A lot of people are quite rude when we offer advice too. One lady couldn't believe she needed a slicker brush AND a comb.. geez..

April

Thanks

Oh April, I completely know what you mean. I've seen people bring their dogs into the vet with collars embedded in their necks. No, you can't put a collar on a puppy and expect it to grow with it!! UGH! I've also seen the dogs that are so badly matted all you can do is shave them. It's so much worse when there's fecal material caked in the matted fur. How can you not notice this?!?!?! I have short haired dogs because I know I'm not a daily brusher, but they do get their brushings. (No mats here!! ) Some of the worst cases are dogs who are left in the back yard and are chained. (and yes we've had to cut out some chains that were embedded too ) I've seen pet dogs so infested with ticks that they were severely anemic. They actually had to have transfusions, because they had been so badly drained. All of these things are so easily remedied with a brush, and nice bath and a couple minutes outta your day. Grrrr.....
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Oh how disgusting for the poor dogs and for you April to have to deal with that degree of neglect and the just plain dirty, smelly way they bring in their so called loved pets. I'd be tempted to take some clippers to them! It's one thing to have someone groom your pet, it's another to neglect it to that point. Humans are so stupid sometimes.

We've been talking about getting an Alaskan Malamute at some point (through a rescue of course). I've been around northern breeds before but never owned one myself. Before we even get close to taking on a dog with that sort of coat I will likely pick your brain about proper coat management so I can get right into a good routine that way.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    It's so much worse when there's fecal material caked in the matted fur. How can you not notice this?!?!?!
    I unfortunately see this almost every day. It's so hard to get it out of my clipper blades too Another one of the groomers had a dog who had so much poo stuck on her butt that nothing else could come out (it was sealed shut).. once she got it off, there was rotten feces stuck inside that just kept coming out.. it was horrible. I had something similar happen to me with a pekingese a few weeks ago. Her poor bum was so sore.

Jo - Malamutes are awesome and beautiful dogs (though they sure can make noise!). These guys SHED! They 'blow' their coat usually two times a year. It comes out in chunks. At these times it is important to brush daily especially behind the ears and between the legs and in the armpits (friction areas) it's best to take the dog to a groomer because we've got SERIOUS blow dryers (we have 4 horse power ones) that blow the hair right out.

April

Thanks

Great advice, thanks April! Well before we consider getting one I'm going to do tons of research, maybe even volunteer at the rescue to make sure I know what I'm getting into. Living in the Canadian Yukon I got exposed to a lot of northern sled breeds but admiring one is not liking owning one.

For now I just drool over the dogs at the breed rescue pages and hope that when we move we can finally have one (a well fenced yard is a must on my list of what I want in the new house).

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Oh and malamutes are champions at finding skunks too.. 80% of the skunk dogs we get are northern breeds.

April

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast