Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,198

1 members and 3,197 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Hognose feeding style?

Again, I'm noting the differences between BP and Hoggy - Emily's pretty calm on feeding day and strikes quite elegantly and takes mousy. Noodle however dashed up to the glass and started hissing at my daughter and trying to get at her (no mouse smell in the room yet and daughter hadn't been handling it). So I was a bit nervous opening that glass door and offering the meal - I went in the other end dropped and ran ... LMAO!! She was like a streak of lightning over to where the mouse was - and STILL wanted another one ... I daren't hold her on feeding day any more and shall invest in a pair of tongs ... does this type of snake seem to get aggressive on feeding day?

BTW - how many mice per sitting should she have? The reptile guy said just one (which is all she had for her first meal with us last week) - but she was definitely cruising and hungry for the two this week.

Thanks

Re: Hognose feeding style?

Raz just a quick comment on BP's on feeding day. Some of mine can be very aggressive on feeding day too so it's not just the type of snake but sometimes it's just that particular snake. We actually don't handle any snake in the house, from the little milksnake right up to the big boa on that snake's feeding day.

Malachi my young male bp is a ripper LOL. He is literally in full strike position from the moment he exits his hide on Thursday till he gets his meal, either on the substrate or up on one of his hides just primed to go! If I'm not fast enough when changing his water on feeding day he'll quite happily go for me multiple times. I don't mind it at all....aggressive attitudes on feeding day are a great thing in my mind! LOL

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

i know it happens, but i've never met anyone who's been bitten or has seen a hoggy bite. the hissing and aggression is just part of their display - it's all talk. and if you're worried about feeding response, just don't feed him in the cage. my $.02
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

I guess our Emily is such a laid-back snake she's given me a false sense of security I think I'll invest in a pair of tongs for them - because even Emily might get me one day when she's bigger.

Any ideas on how many mice an adult hognose should eat? She certainly didn't rest until she'd had two, despite what Reptile Guy told me.

Thanks

Won't an 'aggessive' hognose resort to playing dead if threatened?
    -Brad