Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

how long did it take you before you started breeding?

well, lol, its almost been 3 weeks since i got my ball python "shrugs"
    how long did you guys raise your snakes before starting in breeding them? when do you know you're ready? for me? i'll probably give it a thought if my snake is alive and healthy in 2 or 3 years "that if i stay alive and got a bigger place"...

just a thought

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Re: how long did it take you before you started breeding?

Well, first off, you have to be a little more optimistic....."if my snake is alive and healthy in 2 or 3 years ". I have had experience with snakes since I was a kid, but never started getting interested in breeding them until I got a job at a pet store, In which my collection started growing from 1 to 3 to 5, well you get the point. First off, I would ask a breeder's advice and guidance - I did, when I first started breeding. Then, of course you should probably have experience for a while just learning how to care for your snakes before you consider breeding them....It's the most important thing!
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johar
    "that if i stay alive and got a bigger place"...
    Ok, now you got my curiosity...... why do you say "if I stay alive"? Why would you not?
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

4thesnakelady yeah, i always plan to research / ask around before deciding anything, it took me 4 months just to read about snakes and pythons before i decided to get a ball python, now im completely obsessed with it. like i said. im just thinking of how you guys started , because if my conditions aren't right, i wouldn't think of it. but i guess working at a pet store really helps, we dont have a pet store though and i work at a power plant station. so working a part time job is out of the question

Jeanne, "shrugs" nothing serious. but you i always expect the worst so i wouldn't be shocked!. to be honest with you, no one knows when he's gonna die! i had friends of mine die in accident, or someone even slipped in the bathroom, so i always say that when someone asks if im gonna do this next week or something its just my prespective of life. im not sad about it or anything. but i've made it through alot of accidents and stuff without a scratch. if you've seen the car, you'd be like "****!! someone must have died!!" heheh anyways dont bother yourself
    back to the topic

Thanks

Johar,
    Maybe you've been watching too much Final Destination lately ... and I am truly sorry to hear about your friend(s). However, I do commend you on your pre-purchase research (clapclap), as you would be shocked at the number of idiots that came into the store and bought an animal.....unbeleiveable!!! At any rate, the first step in the right direction is to make sure you have a pair...If your snake is unsexed, find that out and get a mate for him/her, then work on "growing them up". Your time frame of 2-3 years is a great start . Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free......for my door is always open...
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL

Thanks

I re-kindled my reptile obsession as soon as I moved out of campus housing, it went on hold when I was in high school. 2 years and 7 ball pythons later I've got a small breeding project going. Here's what you need, at the minimum to get started:

-at least a 1.1 pair, duh
    -friends to trade info and resources with
    -a bunch of expensive stuff like racks and thermostats to simplify your life and maximize the well being of your animals
    -regular access to cheap feeders
    -lots of patience

Thats pretty much it.
    -Brad

Thanks

cool, thanx snakelady, well to be honest. when i watched final destination, i was like "FOOOK ME!!" well, no worries, but life has so many unexpected things.

anyways. you might add to that, a wife that lets me keep more than one snake at home!! maybe when i get bunch of kids running around she'll be too busy with them.
    this wont be anytime soon i'll give it a thought after i move out.

elevatethis, i have all those , i wouldn't even mind raising the mice at home
    the only problem is "lack of space" and the mother of all problems is "wife!!" she hates animals, definately hates snakes. lol when im ready , i'll do alot of search then ask around before i put the project into action thanx for answering.

Thanks

I have kept reptiles since I was 13 which will be 21 years next month and I have only been breeding for 3 years, I started out breeding beardies and leopard gecko's, I have bred my mountain kingsnakes the last 3 years also, this year I have felt confident enough to breed my boas and my royals. I advise many people over here in the UK about the keeping of herps but I have been asking soo many questions this last year in preparation of breeding my first boids! Books and websites can tell u soo much but personal experience from people u know and respect mean a lot more. Good luck in your keeping of a ball python and hopefully in several years u may feel confident to allow the chance of mating your snake!

Peter
    The World is as delicate as a spiders web. If you touch one thread, you send shudders running through the other threads. We are not just touching the web, we are tearing holes in it! - Gerald Durrell

Thanks

thanx man

Thanks

No offense to your wife Johar, but when I was single , a prerequisite for my new poss. boyfriend was that he HAD to like animals!!! In fact, when I first met Jason, I had to run out and buy him a Betta fish and a sinaloan milk snake when he told me he had no pets!!
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast