Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,274

2 members and 3,272 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Do BRB make good pets

Hello i was at a local pet shop and saw a BRB in real life and they are beatiful and was wanting to get some Pros and Cons on this breed. I looked into buying one before but was turned down to the need for humidity but im wanting to know how to keep them humidity up so that i can keep one. I love the colors and the size of these. Could anyone help me out on this im not saying im getting one just yet but im reading up on them and wanting to get know how other people keep them and what they run the pet shops was almost 200.00 but im going to buy mine from online. Thanks Aaron Also some other care sheets and some pics and stuff
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Re: Do BRB make good pets

I know pet shops can be tempting, but if I were you, I would go to a reptile show and get one instead....It will be half that price the pet store is asking, plus you'll have lots to choose from, instead of just "settling" for the only one they have.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

I do not own one, but I have read a bit about them because they are such cool snakes. You must keep temperatures as well as humidity spot on. If the temps are too high, it can easily kill a BRB. When I worked at a reptile shop, they occasionally had BRBs, but they kept them the same as the BPs, and all of them died within a week. Sad, but you really need to pay special attention to temps and humidity.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Ok thanks well that is a no deal then. Im just having a problem finding something that i like that don't take rabbits and the wife will let me have because we have a baby coming in Augest. So my dwarf retic is out of the picture i would love to have a male albino burm but i don't wanna have a 200 15ft. So any suggestions

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

for humidity dont use a CHE or bulb becuase it will be impossible to keep proper humidity. use a UTH and a substrate like repti-bark or cocanut husk, something that holds humidity well and mist it as needed.

EDIT: wait a minute! i just saw your post, have you moved on to another snake or are we still on BRB's??? do you want suggestions now??? im confused!
    Last edited by mr~python; 02-21-2006 at 12:12 AM. Reason: saw your post
    -marshall

Thanks

Are you still interested in dumerils boas? They don't need rabbits.. jumbo rats suffice for an adult.

hog island boas.. superdwarf retics stay pretty small, but I don't know a lot about them. They can breed at a size smaller than an adult BP though.

blood python.. sumatran or borneo short tail..

April

Thanks

I really love the colors of the borneo short tail and i like the Dumeril boas but i heard they stay pretty nasty and the Short tails do also don't they? Im looking to get the 4' Boaphile cage for the next snake and want something that would live happly in that for it's life. So Shelby you know alot about the snakes SuperDwarfs cost way to much for me and i like the bloods more than the Dum so im leaning to the Blood which are more forgiving on the temps and what would you suggest me heating the Boaphile cage with?

Thanks

Who told you that dumerils were nasty? They are one of the most docile of boas.

Short tails are usually very nice also. Bloods and short tails get a bad rap because of the large number of nasty WC that were around before there were more CB babies.

Most dums would be fine in a 4' boaphile.. same with bloods and short tails.

Dums are real easy to keep, but I've had great luck with my bloods too. I just use flexwatt.. that's what I use for my boaphile cages too.

April

Thanks

OK which do you recommend for me to get them, i like both of them the same so either one is fine which has a better feeding response and are a kinda easier snake of the two. Im wanting something other than a Common boa i like them but you see them everywhere and im wanting something different looking then them.

Thanks

Also where should i get the snake that you suggest im just not a big fan on the smell of the rats but i just hate dealing with them when my bp don't eat. Also i have a Vision tank that my bp is in it's really nice but is not as nice as i thought it would be for a bp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast