Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,251

1 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pet

Thanks

New Pet

I bought a new ball python 2 weeks ago. Store owner said he ate once a week. Saw him fed. Brought him home. Left him alone in his new home a little over a week to adjust. Now he won't eat. All he wants to do is soak in his water dish. Will sit in there for days. I don't see mites or blisters. HELP!!!!

VP of Cool
    Thanks

Re: New Pet

Quote Originally Posted by jeannie
    I bought a new ball python 2 weeks ago. Store owner said he ate once a week. Saw him fed. Brought him home. Left him alone in his new home a little over a week to adjust. Now he won't eat. All he wants to do is soak in his water dish. Will sit in there for days. I don't see mites or blisters. HELP!!!!
    Would you mind elaborating about your setup? What are your temperature and humidity like? What are your ambient temps like? What equipment are you using to measure temps/humidity and what kind of heating are you providing the animal? Are you using somekind of thermostat to control temps? What prey items did the store offer and what are you offering him(Mouse/Rat/size/color)?
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceman25
    Would you mind elaborating about your setup? What are your temperature and humidity like? What are your ambient temps like? What equipment are you using to measure temps/humidity and what kind of heating are you providing the animal? Are you using somekind of thermostat to control temps? What prey items did the store offer and what are you offering him(Mouse/Rat/size/color)?
    As Iceman suggested, do provide this info. It could well be that your python is too hot if there are no parasites present.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Also, do you have hides available for him?

Thanks

I agree with the others. It sounds like something isn't right with your setup. Here's a link to our caresheet. http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=52
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

lets see.... I have a 6ft long foot and a half wide and 2 foot tall glass aquarium. Temps average between 70-95 degrees depending on time of day and location in tank. I have 2 under tank heaters and 2 heat lamps on timers. I'm using astro turf and the same type of bark they had at the store for a substrate. he has 3 hiding areas, including the covered water dish he likes to saok in. Store fed him adult feeder mouse, live. Which is what I have tried. They also fed him in a different tank,(other than his habitat.) Which I did also. I'm not sure how old he is, or when his last shed was. He's about 3 and a half feet long and very friendly. Looks healthy as far as I can tell. I do know he's captive bred. Only trouble I have with his habitat is humidity. Tends to fall to the dry side. But I spray it 2-3 times a day. Just don't know if I should panic or not, This is my first snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeannie
    Temps average between 70-95 degrees depending on time of day and location in tank.
    This is probably your single biggest problem. Ball pythons need steady, non variable temperatures to feel secure enough to eat. 82-84 on one side of the cage, 92-94 on the other ... 24 hours a day, 7 days a week ... measured with a good digital thermometer.

Temps below 80 and fluctations in temperatures will certainly cause a ball python to refuse food.

It's not going to be easy to get the right temps in a fish tank of that size. Good luck!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

First off, don't panic. Unless the snake is in terrible condition, you have plenty of time to get this guy to eat. I would advise a trip to the vet, to get a general checkup and a fecal done. You'd be surprised at the peace of mind from knowing you don't have to worry about parasites.

Wow, that's a big tank. Temps below 80 are not good, and it sounds like you may have a hard time heating such a large tank. An average size enclosure for an adult ranges from 18" x 36" to 24" x 48". Ball pythons spend most of their times snug in their hides. You want hides that just fit the snake, with little to no extra room. They like to be able to feel touched by all the sides.

The other thing I would suggest is to go ahead and feed inside the cage. It's less stressful, and you'll get a better feeding response. As long as you open the cage for water checks and general handling you'll be fine. I started off doing the same, but I've had better results since I started feeding in the cage. None of my snakes snap at me, and I've yet to be bitten. I get the rare, I'm in shed hiss or it's too early leave me alone hiss, but never a strike.

I hope this helps some.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Then you Stand

Thanks

i think a 3 and a half foot ball should be able to take something bugger than an adult feeder mouse. my 21in. bp takes adult feeder mice live about once a week.
    Cody
    ---------------------
    0.1.0 BP Normal (Princess)
    0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake (Allison) For Sale
    Local Pickup Only
    PM Me For More Info

Thanks

I don't believe it's fair to compare the two. Younger bps are growing rather quickly, whereas adults just aren't. I would think an adult bp, especially a male, would be fine with an adult mouse or two once a week.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Then you Stand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast