Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,481

1 members and 1,480 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm Getting A Crestie!

i'm pretty excited about this. i've wanted to get a crestie F-O-R-E-V-E-R and now... i am!

so here's the viv: 12x12x18

there's a waterfall in there... and some live plants with some silk ones as well... i'm going to add some driftwood or bamboo as well to give it more to climb on...

now... the big question... can i put two in here? what if they end up the same sex,... will i have to eventually sep. them... cause i've read that if they are together from when they are little... they will be fine even if they are both the same sex.

but i want the real info from owners... so ... enlighten me please!

AND i'm going to add a little ledge with holes in it to put the food and water dishes so they don't spill over.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Re: I'm Getting A Crestie!

Ohh you are gonna love having a crestie or two.

I have my young adult pair living in that same viv, they do just fine and my set up is much like yours.

You can house females together, but I would not reccommend that you house two males together. So if you get 2, you are gonna have to watch them to be able to tell what you have sex wise as they mature. That way, you can control whether or not they breed too young (if male/female pair) or to separate them if male/male.

I wish I could remember right now where I saw them, but I saw these really cool water/food dish things, that have a small platform.. that you can hang off the side, they are made for use with cresties I think.... soon as I find it again, I will let you know, I was thinkng about switching over to those. I saw something like those at my local petsmart, and they attach with a suction cup, but man are they just way heavy and I was afraid it would be too heavy for the suction cup provided. So I never bought them.

Ohhh! I found it! Scroll down a bit!
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/products.htm
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

jeanne, that's the site that gave me the idea to hang their dishes LOL

i think i'll just get one crestie then... cause i don't want to have to sep. them later...
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

well i got two last night. they are sooooo cute. they are siblings and my breeder feels they are probably females (because of the incubation time) - one at this point is more yellow and the other is more red. both have a fire red papa so they should be gorgeous

we've named the little guys (2 weeks old) flip and flop. i've added a few of those flat oval glass beads 1/2" into the waterfall... even though it's not deep, i don't wanna take a chance and have these little ones drown.

she let me come into her reptile room and see everyone and everything. all her corns, balls, cresties, gargoyles, oh man there were sooooo many racks and sooooo many exo-terras. she houses all of her geckos in exo-terras.

i really love this breeder. she's a little hard to get ahold of, but her animals are so healthy and well cared for. it's an entire family project of love

so a question: the CGF - can i mix it up and freeze it?
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    i think i'll just get one crestie then... cause i don't want to have to sep. them later...
    Can you EVER get just one??? LOL!! They're so cute and the viv is just gorgeous! I can't wait to see more pics of them as they grow!

EDIT: Oh, and Flip and Flop.....just TOOOO cute!!
    -- Judy

Thanks

giggling... ya they were flippin' and floppin' when we were moving them to their new viv... so the names seemed very appropriate LOL
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

Now you need three more, cause you would have flip, flop, hop, skip, and a jump. It's only necessary.
    Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    they are siblings and my breeder feels they are probably females (because of the incubation time) -

I would still have an extra basic set up just in case, there has been no real evidence that temp sexing is indeed correct, muchless incubation time being a good indication of sex of off spring. Right now those are theories yet to be proven with cresties.

But they are cuties, you will enjoy them.

Not sure if you should freeze the CGD, I would be worried about it degrading a bit quicker when thawed. But I am sure someone who knows better than I will chime in.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

jeanne is right about the incubation of cresteds--nothing has been proven to support temp or time sexing with them and in my own (somewhat limited) experience the sexes have been completely random.

you can freeze the cgd in ice cube trays (or whatever else) and thaw it before serving.

are your 2 new ones really only 2 weeks old? that is really really young! since they are so young be extra sure that they have cgd available at least 5 days per week and if you choose to feed crickets giving them pinheads several times per week will help them grow faster. since you have loose substrate you can teach them to feed out of a deli cup or something similar to avoid ingesting the substrate.

they are very cute. congrats and welcome to the crestie fan club. good luck not getting anymore!
    - Emily

Thanks

giggling... thanks. i love the additional names

i guess beth has some great accuracy with her set up and incubation times regarding sexing... but it doesn't really matter... cause whatever they are... i'll love em

thanks for the info on the cgd - i'll freeze it

and yup, i've got the pinheads in there... they are up on the leaves of the plants and i'll make sure the food is always there and fresh.

they are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!
    in light, Aleesha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast