Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,379

2 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Any1 heard snakes go into a trance when laying eggs?

I was watching the crocadile hunter yestarday and it was a special all about snakes. Steve proved that when crocadiles layed their eggs they go into a trance and don't recognize whats going on around them so he wondered if he worked in snakes too...at this time he had a huge reticualted python momma about to lay eggs, when she started to lay her eggs steve walked into the enclosure and sat right next to the big beast and as he was gonna try his technigue for the 1st time, taking the eggs as they came outa the cloaca, the snake let out a huge hiss noise and bumped him away! After scaring the crap outa steve he went to try it again thinking the retic wasn't in the trance like state yet and it was amazing!!! Steve was taking the eggs right off of the giant retics head and she didn't even relize steve was there.

My question is has any1 ever tried doing this or even noticed it before that snakes may infact go into a trance like state?

Thanks

Re: Any1 heard snakes go into a trance when laying eggs?

nope, i never tried "never had the chance and never dared"
    but i would like to see it on a file or something

Thanks

I know it seems kinda dareing doesn't it? I mean in case of a snake getting freaked out she could smash some eggs and at that time the eggs are very delicate anyway, verysoft. Not just that they are also slippery if you dropped an egg it might mean death for the little guy in there and if you dropped it on the snake she could wake up and divert her attention to attacking you!!

Thanks

I think is is more of a very concentrated state of mine. Or they are is so much pain the dont care what is around them.

1.6 BP 1.1 het albino BP 1.0 Creamsicle Corn 1.0 Viper Gecko 1.1 Crested Gecko 0.1 Leopard Gecko 0.0.3 D. leucs 0.0.2 D. tincs Cobalt 0.0.4 Baby Eastern Box Turtles

Thanks

That's interesting stuff (good for TV)...

Ummm no. It is my "best practice" (some 7 years ago when I last breed BP's )to just let mama do her thing in peace (laying eggs is plenty stressful). Once done, I'll uncoil her using a small towel and check her belly to she if she's done, if so then it's off to the incubator with the clutch.

IMO, its best to collect the clutch ALL at once then to have to keep opening the incubator over the course of several hours to deposite an egg. Besides, I don't think I'll enjoy hovering over the tub for hours on end. They tend to take their time doing this.

I'll leave stunts like that to the pro's. I wouldn't take the chance.
    Tony.....

3.1 Crumb Snatchers
    0.1 Domestic Engineer

Thanks

why is an incubator better then letting the snake take care of the eggs like they do naturally?
    0.1 Normal BP -Persephone (goddess of the underworld)

Thanks

Stings, I never said it was better. It was my preference then and will be in the future.

Females loose a great deal of weight (body fat) when laying eggs. I prefer to give them a break by using the "bator" and getting her back (slowly) into a normal eating regime. This is what "I" like to do. Hope that helps.
    Tony.....

3.1 Crumb Snatchers
    0.1 Domestic Engineer

Thanks

No no no....he sat there with a bucket of perlite putting the eggs in that and once the 1st bucket got done he handed it to an assistant who handed him another bucket containing perlite and started collecting again while the full bucket was taken to the incubators