Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,566

1 members and 3,565 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Reptile Dysfunction Lucifers_Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

Small burm????????

I know of a male albino burm(butter cup) that is almost 6 years old and 7 feet...he is one foot around...he has been well taken care of and my question is why is he so small for his age....ive never heard of a burm only 7 feet at 6 years old...most are 7 feet within the first year or two.....now i know that every snake if differnt and they all grow at differnt speeds and will get there own legths but is it possible it is a dwarf or even the runt? Most burms reach adulthood and growing slows around age 3-4 ( i think)

well anyways any insight would be appreciated

Heres a pic of "butter cup" and no its not poo behind him its a cage decoration he decided to bury in bedding

Thanks

Re: Small burm????????

There are dwarf burms, but they are very expensive at this time.

Male burms average 10-15' and +-100lbs. How often and what is he fed? You can stunt the growth by not feeding enough, but the snake will still grow when it's fed properly again.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Registered User The Cannibal Monkey's Avatar
    Thanks

I know this is zero help, but that is an AWESOME looking snake!!

Thanks

The funny thing is, I knew an albino burm named Buttercup.

April

BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Re: Small burm????????

Very pretty Burm!!
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

Thanks

guinea pigs medium rabbits and jumbo rats every 2 weeks (not all of that at once but whatever he deiced looked tasty lol)

the guy is a friend of my hubby's and i and he has to move to a no snake zone.....so id i drive the 2 hours to pick him and his habitat up i can have him for free...(hes rich as *bleep* so he doesnt care about the loss....just wants the snake to have a good home

Thanks

also the snake has been trained that before he hets handled gets tapped gently on the head with a snake hook....no tap and somethign moving in his cage means food time......in the 3 years my friend has had him hes only struck at a person once......another friend reached in to pick him up and didnt follow the tap procedure and buttercup luckily missed his arm

Thanks

If you took him you have to be prepared for the fact that he CAN grow more. I don't know why he's small, but these snakes get huge. They have fantastic feeding responses too.. doesn't matter how tame it is, you have to be careful and prepared.

I wouldn't recommend this as a second snake anyway.. just my opinion..

April

Thanks

I realize he would be a huge responsibility and i know how cautious i would have to be ....i understand how powerful they can be ( I WILL NEVER HANDLE THIS SNAKE ALONE!!!) not pretty getting tagged by giant burm (if he ever grows) im just so curious about whys hes so small ......i HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt its because hes underfed.......my cousin has a runt....(not a burm) the snake (i forget what kind) is normally 6-7 feet long and his like 7 years old and 3 feet....all of its brothers ans sisters are full size....so i was just wondering about possibilitys...you understand me....i have the money to feed it...the space to keep it..... knolwedege...(of general things , care etc....not experience knowledege tho)....im also willing to work with the snake to best of my ability and get help from my expert cousin if my ability proves to suck lol....i am not one to be irresponsible (ive lived on my own since i was 15, work 2 jobs go to school stay out of drugs and trouble)...i understand teh care it woudl need should it ever grow.....wow this is getting long....but yea keep the advice coming.....and please just no *it can poop like a horse and eat rabbits so dont buy it* kind of stuff.....any possitive information and help on caring and caution and etc would be highly welcomed.......all i ever hear is bad about burms and frankly im tired of it...more dogs kill people than snakes so yea

BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Red face Re: Small burm????????

Calm down rememeber you came to this site asking for help if your cousin knows so much about keeping snake why don't you give it to your cousin, just because the snake is free means you have to take it for some reason he maybe just don't wanna pay the price to get the permit so he can keep a snake in areas that don't allow snakes. But you have to remember you asked why is this snake the size it is no more information so Shelby is just telling you the truth and she knows what she is doing with almost any snake of this size and she has alot of snakes that get as big if not bigger than a Burm. P.S. Even the President of the United States could have lived on his own at 15 and worked 4 jobs and still wont be ready for a snake of this level. Sorry just had to add that in!!
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast