Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,932

2 members and 2,930 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new viv's

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Wink new viv's

okay, so rather than taking over greenmonkey's thread...

here's the viv's i just set up. i'm going to add some pieces of driftwood into the red eyed tree frog enclosure...

and this one has the water in the bottom... a few danios will go in there... and i have vines and plants for the reticulated tree frogs and anoles.

so anyone know... are these good to go or do i need to do something different with them?

both have lights on them... red eyes have a 60 watt light and the retics have a 100 watt light. (for warmth and for the plants to thrive)
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: new viv's

Those are gorgeous! I don't know about the husbandry needs or if anything needs fixing or changing.....but they sure do look nice!!!
    -- Judy

Thanks

well i've been trying to find husbandry needs on them and am coming up empty handed i've found stuff on the red eyed tree frogs but not the reticulated... if that's even the right name (you know how pet stores are... sometimes something comes in under a name... )

well, i'll give them a tropical care and hope it's appropriate. man i hate being undereducated when it comes to caring for my critters
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

for the red eye enclosure make sure the lamp doesn't heat it up too much. anything over about 82 for prolonged periods is too hot for them. you might want to take temp readings at the top of the enclosure on the glass, because chances are high that they will often sleep there and it will be warmer there as opposed to other places in the tank. also make sure you have a constant clean water source--i can't tell if you have one or not from the pic. i use a square but short rubbermaid container--i think its made for sandwiches.

for the other enclosure make sure your lamp provides UVA and UVB for the anoles. i don't know about the frogs but the anoles definitely need it.

both tanks look great!
    - Emily

Thanks

yes i have clean water... in the waterfall as well as a little container in the bottom
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks
    Blog Entries

oooh i see the waterfall now. i had one of those in with my red eyes for a while and i really liked it, but it ended up being kind of a pain to keep clean. they tend to defecate in their water so you have to change it out every few days. i'd imagine cleaning will be a bit easier with the enclosure you have since it opens in the front as opposed to the mega tall aquarium that i am using. i'd like to get one of the exoterra eventually for my red eyes too.
    - Emily

Thanks

okay so you have red eyes... i AM worried about getting these ones... cause they are so tiny - 1/2" so i wonder if i should not get them after all.

i so deserve this you know... normally i do so much reading on anything before i buy it... and this time, for some stupid reason (well i know the reason... the petstore is a ways away so i picked up the vivs while i was there... {and they were a really good price})

so now i'm sitting and doing my research and finding that some sites say not to buy the red eyes smaller than 1" and these captive bred guys are half that size.

i'm also concerned about the size of the viv. 12x12x18 - i was going to get 4 red eyes but now i realize i should only get 2 for this viv.

so i'm wondering if i should get something else for this viv...

and then the larger viv... i can't mix breeds... so i'm just going to put the frogs in it... these ones are much larger and i'm not too worried about their care. i have firebelly toads and a pacman frog... so i think i can handle them. i can't find any caresheets at all on them.
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i got all of my red eyes when they were adults or very close to it, however if you are sure you are getting cb frogs you may be ok getting smaller/younger ones. my experience is that you either get a hardy, healthy frog or you get a weaker one that doesn't seem to thrive quite as well and when this is the case it usually does not reverse and the frog eventually dies regardless of special treatment/feeding/housing etc. that being said i also believe that at least some of my red eyes were wild caught and that may have a lot to do with it. i think perhaps this is why some consider red eyes to be delicate--some seem to be but others are totally fine and thrive with no issues whatsoever. i guess the trick is lucking out and getting hardy ones on the first try. again, this is probably much easier if you get cb frogs to start with.

as a general rule you should have 5 gallons of space per red eye, so it would probably be best just housing 2 in the enclosure that you have.
    - Emily

Thanks

okay... i think i'll have them hold the red eyes at the pet store till they get a little bigger and then i'll know if they are hardy

thanks so much for sharing with me!
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

okay my plans have changed... so this is the newly updated version of what i'm hoping to do.... any comments or suggestions are VERY welcome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    here's the viv's i just set up. it's going to house a crested gecko...

and this one has the water in the bottom... a few danios will go in there... and i have vines and plants for 4 red eyed tree frog

in light, Aleesha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast