Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,966

0 members and 1,966 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sex Injuries

Thanks

Sex Injuries

From what I understand, males can get one or both hemipenes ripped off during mating. I imagine this occurs when a female decides to move off suddenly before the male is finished.

However, I've noticed a lot of people posting pictures of their snakes coupled. Aren't they running the risk of an injury happening when they are mating, especially given how flinchy a Ball can be? It would seem like the breeder would take every precuation for this not to happen, or am I just being way too cautious and paranoid?

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Sex Injuries

When ball pythons are "locked up" they are almost in a trance like state. They are generally pretty oblivious to their surroundings. Over the years I've even managed to pick up and move pairs that were "locked up" into a new box and have them remain locked in their new enclosure. If anything, it's the males that tend to be the skittish ones ... large females could generally not care less.

Of course anything "can" happen, but it's really not something to be concerned about (at least with ball pythons, I can't speak intelligently about other species because I don't have anywhere near the experience I do with p. regius). I've been doing this a long time and instances of hemipenes being lost due to cancer or infections from bedding lodged in them are much more common. I can only think of 1 or 2 instances of a ball pythons "pene" being "ripped off" among all of the breeders that I have ever spoken to. Although, I do know many breeders that have at least one male in their collection that had to have a hemipene removed ... myself included.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I talked to some guys who thought it had happened to one of their boas. Maybe they where right or maybe they weren’t. At any rate, boas are generally bigger and stronger snakes and might have other different tendencies and characteristics of the reproductive organs making this more likely. And, since they only use one at a time it would have to happen twice to get both sides. So, it’s a possibility to consider with ball pythons but I haven’t heard or seen one way or the other as to if it’s likely. Still, the pic a while back of someone feeding a male ball python while he was breeding seems a bit risky.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think it's in my nature to worry about things like this, but I'm glad to know it's not a big concern.

But while we're on the subject of mating injuries... have you ever known Balls to act aggressive to each other? I've heard of one "trick" to get a lazy breeder to get going is to throw another male in the pot. I'm not sure how aggressive they can be to one another, but I don't think I would want to risk any injuries to a high-end morph by trying it.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    I've heard of one "trick" to get a lazy breeder to get going is to throw another male in the pot. I'm not sure how aggressive they can be to one another, but I don't think I would want to risk any injuries to a high-end morph by trying it.
    Sometimes that "trick" works, sometimes it doesn't. It really depends on the males that you use. I usually have to use it on at least one male a year to get them going. They just shove each other around and urinate all over each other, but nothing “harmful”.

Females will also display aggressive behavior towards males. I've had large dominant females literally "toss" young males off of their backs. They will push and shove the male all around the cage until he gets the "hint" and leaves them alone. Those girls usually need a larger more dominant male to get them "in the mood".

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    They just shove each other around and urinate all over each other, but nothing “harmful”.
    I'm glad at least ONE thing has changed within our primitive human instincts.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Really interesting stuff, Adam...thanks for sharing! It sounds like they are displaying personalities or am I anthropomorphizing? Just exercising mate preferences?
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

I'm glad at least ONE thing has changed within our primitive human instincts.
    You should come out to the bars with us sometime.

-adam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    You should come out to the bars with us sometime.
    I'm in! Just don't give me weird looks when I show up with a raincoat and a see-through dome umbrella.

-Lawrence

Thanks

I'm in! Just don't give me weird looks when I show up with a raincoat and a see-through dome umbrella.
    LOL ... I very rarely ever make it above knee level.

-adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast