Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,918

3 members and 2,915 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Same girl w/two different guys

Something recently dawned on me and I need a couple of "seasoned pros" to give me some answers. About two months ago, I was breeding a gorgeous female and my best breeder male(beautiful too)...when suddenly my male passed away in a freak accident. After recovering for about a month from her tragedy, "Hemlock" was placed in the company of another male(not nearly as pretty), who took over the job, and has been locking up with her constantly since their union( i think he was a virgin until now lol). My question is this: is it possible that when she lays, her clutch could have babies from both males?? I don't mean to compare snakes and dogs, which are nothing alike, but I know that a single female can get pregnant from multiple male dogs....hence the puppies will have different fathers. i know snakes can store sperm, but could this scenario be possible? i hope so...since losing "Cyrax" I was just hoping that he left at least one more little guy(or girl) to carry on.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Same girl w/two different guys

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady
    My question is this: is it possible that when she lays, her clutch could have babies from both males??
    Yes, it's possible. There are several recorded instances of multiple males fathering the same clutch with some of the babies being attributed to one male and some to the other ... for example, a pastel and spider bred to a female that produced pastel, spider, and normal offspring.

But in the vast majority of cases, when using multiple males, the "last one in" is generally the one and only sire of the clutch.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty