Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,610

0 members and 2,610 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Axanthic from who???

VPI, RDR or Joliff? I see a wide spread in the pricing across these breeders. Is the preferrence in pricing related to how well the morph retains its color well in to adult hood? Thanks folks...
    Last edited by ARamos8; 02-07-2006 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
    Tony.....

3.1 Crumb Snatchers
    0.1 Domestic Engineer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Axanthic from who???

Quote Originally Posted by ARamos8
    VPI, RDR or Joliff? I see a wide spread in the pricing across these breeders. Is the preferrence in pricing related to how well the morph retains its color well in to adult hood? Thanks folks...
    There are several differnt bloodlines of axanthics available from a wide array of different breeders. To date, I don't believe that any of the different "lines" have proven to be compatible .... so if you are indeed in the market for an axanthic, make sure you do your homework.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Smile Re: Axanthic from who???

Very good. Thanks for the speedy response.
    Tony.....

3.1 Crumb Snatchers
    0.1 Domestic Engineer

Thanks

For me, its the VPI Axanthics... One of the reasons for this, is I'm planning on making VPI Snows... and the VPI line of Snows seem to produce the whitest Snows from what I've seen on the web. (I've never seen one in person as of yet..)
    Ken

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ddbjdealer
    For me, its the VPI Axanthics... One of the reasons for this, is I'm planning on making VPI Snows... and the VPI line of Snows seem to produce the whitest Snows from what I've seen on the web. (I've never seen one in person as of yet..)
    I can confirm that VPI snows are the whitest snow in person too.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

I have a question about "white". I fell hard for piebalds when I saw them on the web - just so cool. However, I finally saw a pied in person last week (I'm certainly no expert, but maybe 1 or 2 years old?) and I was disappointed because the white wasn't as "white" as I expected.

My assumption is that the white areas on pieds and on snows will change depending when the snake last shed, it's health and husbandry (and/or it was just bad lighting). Does the white on pieds and snows, etc. also change with age, i.e., cleaner bright white as babies that deepens to dirty or vanilla white?
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra
    I have a question about "white". I fell hard for piebalds when I saw them on the web - just so cool. However, I finally saw a pied in person last week (I'm certainly no expert, but maybe 1 or 2 years old?) and I was disappointed because the white wasn't as "white" as I expected.

My assumption is that the white areas on pieds and on snows will change depending when the snake last shed, it's health and husbandry (and/or it was just bad lighting). Does the white on pieds and snows, etc. also change with age, i.e., cleaner bright white as babies that deepens to dirty or vanilla white?
    I'm not sure what you saw, but the white on my pieds is just as bright today as it was when they were babies. None of my pieds have shown any fading in the white??? Maybe the pied you saw was about to shed?

Snows and some of the lucys on the other hand will get darker or "creamier" as they get older in certain spots ... the reason is that there is actually faint patterning that can be seen on their bodies “under” the white ... This pattern is subject to the same ontonogenic color change that occurs in all ball pythons.

-adam

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've seen several different pieds at various reptile expos and all the ones I've seen had that startling white that you would expect. I don't know if the shade of white changes due to an impending shed or husbandry issues, but it might. I'm sure Adam or someone would have a more definitive answer.

I would also hazzard a guess that the quality of "white" in a snow would depend a lot on which axanthic line was used, as well as just plain variation...just like some pastels can be rather plain looking but throw knock-out babies....maybe some snows are more or less clean-looking than even their own littermates?

EDIT: There see?? I knew Adam would have an answer! I just like to hear myself type.
    -- Judy

Thanks

The pieds I have seen on people's web sites all have relatively the same white brightness as each other.

Axanthics from certain lines tend to look almost normalish when they get older and their color bleeds a little. Axanthics from these lines will still produce stunning babies, and snows, if also het for Albino, but the "White Factor" on the snow doesn't look as bright.
    Ken

Thanks

So maybe the pied I saw had funky husbandry or I can just hope that the lighting was bad, but that pied's white was very vanilla creamy.

The owner also showed me this pied's belly, which had a few pink spots on it, which he said was typical of pieds (which is not what I'm hearing from you guys); better guess that this snake was just heading into shed? =)

Adam, thanks for assuring me that your pieds have lovely dazzling white. Now I can day dream about the babies you'll have available later on!
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast