Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,921

0 members and 2,921 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Bull snake info

BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Bull snake info

Hello a local petshp has had a bullsnake for awhile i love the way they look and the way they move. I have readup on the Caresheet this site has for them and i really like the cooler temps they can have. Im also wondering what size do they take when full grown. I also would like some suggestions and pointers and tips from people that have kept these snakes. I would really like to buy one some day soon so im like some help with breeders and i want to make sure it's a CB so i don't have to worry about feeding frogs and the pain of not eating. Also i have a Vision tank opeing up soon and was wondering if i should get a adult or a baby. I just heard they need to be handled alot to stay calm and handleble later as adults. Is this true and can some people post pics of there own and the setup they are using. Thanks Aaron
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Bull snake info

Anyone? It's either going to be a Corn/king or a bull Thanks Aaron but i really like the bull snakes
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Bull snake info

It's been awhile since I studied the Pituophis family of snakes (which includes gopher snakes, bullsnakes, and pine snakes). I did quite a bit of research into them though, when I was learning how to care for our gopher. Unfortunately, my memory leaks like a rusty bucket, so I'll have to find my old research material to get you more concrete details.

Bullsnakes are generally considered to be a subspecies of the gopher snake (Pituophis catenifer). Their scientific name is Pituophis catenifer sayi, or P.c.sayi. They actually come in many different locales and their sizes vary considerably from one part of the country to the next. Their color also varies a lot, depending on where they're from. Some locales can reach sizes up to 6'-8' in length, if I remember correctly, and have the girth of a soda can.

I'll look for my old info that I've stored up and see what I can find. In the meantime, you can google the scientific name and probably find lots of info yourself. Also look up Cherryville Farms. They are a highly reputable breeder of Pituophis snakes.
    Last edited by JLC; 02-07-2006 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    -- Judy