Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,069

0 members and 2,069 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems

Thanks

Problems

My beardy Draco is shaking, foaming at the mouth and regurgitationg. She has been shaking for over 4 hrs now. I been watching her sick to my stomach all night long. I put a new UVB bulb in today. The nearest herp vet is 250+ miles away. I don't think there is really anything I can do but wait it out. She only had squash to eat today.

Thanks

Re: Problems

Sounds like she's somehow been poisoned. Is there ANYTHING that she may have gotten into? Anything different in her enclosure? What type of UVB bulb? Seizures, foaming at the mouth and vomiting are signs that some kind of poison was ingested. She needs to go to a vet as soon as possible, and it doesn't matter what kind of vet. Any vet can give fluids, check blood work, give oral charcoal to absorb the poison.

I advise you to seek a vet as soon as possible as your dragon may not last the night.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

There has been absolutely nothing she could have gotten a hold of. I am sure of it. I got a Powersun ( I think thats the name)UVB bulb. It was a $50 bulb. She is also caged with my male. He is fine. I can't find any vets in the area with an after hours number. None of them are listed by name either. My normal vet is aactive duty Army. They don't and won't deal with exotics.

Thanks

I hate North Dakota!!!! There is one freaking on call vet in town and he doesn't deal with lizards period. I know I am not any where near a herp vet so I work so hard to keep my husbandry perfect. I have probably invested over $2000 in the past 5 months in my herps alone. Most of that has been spent on husbandry. They get the top of the line from me. I don't think it's poison other wise the other two would be sick too. My wife hand feeds them, and she washes her hands first every single time. This is killing me.

Thanks

I doubt the bulb would be offgassing anything into the enclosure, but you can never really know. How far away is the bulb from the dragons? I remember reading that it needs to be at least 18"-24" away from the basking spot, instead of the other way around like fluorescents.

What is her condition like now? Is her breathing rapid, shallow? What was she regurgitating? A clear fluid or was it stomach contents? You may want to try to get some water into her. I don't know if you have pedialyte in your house, but since you have children, I thought I would ask. When did she last poop? Was it normal? Does she eat normally and what does she eat?

If you haven't yet, please separate her from the other dragons. Since we have no idea what she could have, your best bet for the other two is to separate her from them.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

The light is 2' away.

Rapid breathing.

She regurgitated stomach contents it looked like, was all brown and nasty. Sargon and Draco had the same meal.

We got some water into her. we have no pedialyte, my kids are older.

I don't know when she pooped last, but nothing looks abnormal in the cage.

She eats a mixture of squash, collard greens, mustard greens and calcium mixed in it. Same diet for months. It is mixed up like baby food for them.

They are separated.

Thanks

You may want to try giving her a warm(100 degrees or so) bath to help warm her up and hydrate her more. If you can get some chicken or turkey babyfood mixed with water into her via a syringe, and feed her every few hours.

It is very important to keep her hydrated and warm until you can possibly get her to a vet in the morning who will see her. It may help to put her on a heating pad set on low.

Can she walk and move normally? Are her extremities cold(not normal cool-reptile type cool) to the touch? Is her belly hard/ have hard spots if you gently palpate it or does it feel like a normal dragon belly(squishy yet muscley- I know, so scientific, LoL)?

It is entirely possible that she had a neurologic episode such as a seizure, a stroke, a hemorrhage(aneurysm), etc. I am not a vet but I am trying to help in the best way that I know how.
    --Becky--

Thanks

We tried all that but the baby food. She can struggle to walk. Normally she is the fastest one but moving very slow and painfully looking tonight. She had cricks early yesterday, but not today. I don't think it's impaction by a long shot. If it is something neurological I don't think I will be able to do anything but wait it out. I guess I am going to have to wait it out. I think she would eat if I tried to feed her, but I am scared she will regurge again. We even gave her a warm bath. She has bubbled at the mouth and everything. I think I am going to check on her one more time then again in a few hours. I will let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks

I really appreciate your help. I know it's almost im possible to diagnose over the net. I stay pretty well read, and this is an issue for a vet I think, and he don't know herps at all he told me.

Thanks

Good luck with her hun, I'm sorry I couldn't do any more for her. If you lived in Texas, that would be another story though.
    --Becky--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast