Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,239

2 members and 1,237 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

husband got new boa

ok my husband got another snake..a boa..we brought her home and she/he is in the second day here and is it normal for her to stay hidden under aspen chips while she is coping?and also i need a care sheet for this one.she about 6ft. now and i know she is going to get alot bigger!!!
    diamond1

Thanks

Re: husband got new boa

Here is the caresheet.

Do you have any hides for the new boa? They like hides also. Mine are smaller, but they hide under the aspen all the time. It is pretty normal.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

Talking Re: husband got new boa

yes i have hides for harley,ok because i was just wondering since we had brought her/him home she has been hiding.i think she came out once.i will post pics when the time is up for her sitting.and i have read that caresheet.so its really the same as a bp?ecept it will get bigger!!!much bigger
    diamond1

Thanks

I surely hope you realize that bringing an unknown boa constrictor into your house where there are Ball Pythons(or any other python) is a big cause for concern. Boas can harbor IBD for months and even years with no outward symptoms other than sporadic feeding and some other symptoms. This snake needs, and I stress NEEDS, to be quarantined in a separate air space AWAY from your current collection, for AT LEAST 3 months, as does that new Ball Python you brought into your home(not that it matters now as the quarantine is already broken).

I noticed a tick on the right cheek of that new Ball Python in the pictures you posted. Where there are ticks, there are eggs and nymphs. If you do not treat this snake, and the rest of your snakes soon, they are all going to become infested with ticks. With ticks come Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and even if the snakes can't or don't get it, you and your family certainly may contract it. Provent-A-Mite is your best bet at treating the enclosures and the house.

It would be wise to also get the two new snakes into the vet(two separate appointments so as not to break quarantine) for a wellness exam as well as a fecal to check for internal parasites. Bring in a teaspoon-sized sample to the veterinarian from your other two Ball Pythons just to make sure they didn't contract anything from the new snake. Parasite eggs can travel, and even if you washed your hands, fecal matter from an infected snake can still get on your clothing and be transferred to another snake. This is why strict quarantine procedures should be used whenever a new animal is introduced into the existing collection.

Here is the care sheet for boa constrictors: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=13. A 6ft female should be housed in AT LEAST a 4x2 enclosure.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

yes im very aware of bringing a boa home it has some risk.they are quaratined

and the boa is way from the bp.oh and one more thing i dont see where you are talking about on magnum,a tick...i dont see one at all.are you sure its a tick that you seen?i took a magnafy glass and looked there is no tick.please let me know where on it did you see it.
    diamond1

Thanks

You don't need a magnifying glass to see ticks. They are fat and brown and can range in size from extremely tiny(pin head size) to as big as the tip of your thumb. There looks to be one on her cheek/in front of her eye in the picture, but maybe it has already drank its fill and fallen off. You may want to go ahead and treat everything anyway with the Provent-A-Mite just to be on the safe side, as you may wake up one morning and everyone(the snakes) is crawling with ticks.

Where is the boa quarantined? And where is the new Ball quarantined? You need to be EXTREMELY diligent about using all separate equipment when dealing with these snakes so as not to pass anything to your other two. Deal with your original two Ball Pythons first, wash your hands and arms, and then go deal with the two in quarantine. Ball Python first, and boa last. After you are done with the boa, change your clothes and wash up very well with warm, soapy water. Or even go as far as taking a shower.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

i will go look at that pic,because i dont see one.and boa is in the back of the house (bedroom)and bp is in its own room in front of my house..i have a pretty good size house so they are safe.
    diamond1

Thanks

ok i looked at my pic and i see what you see and its not a tick that is her color.lol and the reason i used a magnify glass is because i could not see what you was talking about.i do know what a tick looks like..im not that blonde.lol
    diamond1