Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,972

1 members and 2,971 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question miscarriage? (feederbreeder)

Since becoming an unintentional feederbreeder I've become pretty adept at spotting which expecting rats are getting ready to drop and will move them into a solo cage at that point. Last night I noticed a fairly pregnant female leaving a trail of blood around the cage and promptly moved her. Since then (19hrs) she hasn't had her litter but doesnt look to be bleeding freshly yet still looks almost dialated. Has she or could she be miscarrying?

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

Re: miscarriage? (feederbreeder)

Sounds like a hemorrhage. Is she breathing heavily? Any excess porphyrin? Is she eating and drinking normally? Also, do you know how long she's been pregnant? If she isn't close to birthing, then I would say that she is reabsorbing the babies or is bleeding out. If she continues to bleed, you may want to feed her off. Normally, if an animal was bleeding out, I would give her SubQ fluids/dextrose solution, and take her to the vet to be spayed. But as this isn't a pet situation, I wouldn't expect that to be needed.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

She doesn't seem to stressed/strained but she'd not all laid out either. No fresh blood. Still eating and drinking and shuffling bedding all over the place.

Maybe I am freaking out over nothing - I'll let you know if anything changes.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

My albino female rat had a pretty big bloody show before she birthed Matt, compared to anything I've seen the other females pass. Her first two out seemed not to be alive and she disposed of them promptly, though went on to deliver a nice bunch of living young. I think perhaps those first two may have been stuck or something.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~