Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,020

0 members and 3,020 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Continuity of Record Keeping with Hets

Just wondering here folks and need some advice/words of wisdom. I want to set up my genetic records properly (sort of start as you plan to go on thing).

What I'm wondering about is how to deal with the continuity of records when one proves out a possible het. Say I breed our 100% het for albino to one of our normal females next year....and hold back all female offspring. They would be classed as 50% possible het for albino correct? My genetics/breeding records and my numbering system would reflect that.

At some point they grow up and I try to prove them out. If I'm lucky I prove some of them out but what I'm asking I guess is how you experienced breeders manage your record keeping so you can show "proof" of the change in status from a 50% possible het to a 100% het?

I know with hets it's a lot about the breeder's word but still I'd like to back my word up with good record keeping right from the start even before my first het is hatched.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Continuity of Record Keeping with Hets

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Just wondering here folks and need some advice/words of wisdom. I want to set up my genetic records properly (sort of start as you plan to go on thing).

What I'm wondering about is how to deal with the continuity of records when one proves out a possible het. Say I breed our 100% het for albino to one of our normal females next year....and hold back all female offspring. They would be classed as 50% possible het for albino correct?

yes they all would be 50% possible het

My genetics/breeding records and my numbering system would reflect that.

yes

At some point they grow up and I try to prove them out. If I'm lucky I prove some of them out but what I'm asking I guess is how you experienced breeders manage your record keeping so you can show "proof" of the change in status from a 50% possible het to a 100% het?

the only way i would do it is with pics and lots of them like a pic of her mating and laying and of the eggs hatching that about all i can see anyone doing

I know with hets it's a lot about the breeder's word but still I'd like to back my word up with good record keeping right from the start even before my first het is hatched.

~~Jo~~
    0.1 spider het ghost 1.1 het ghost 1.1 het pied
    0.1 spider ball python 1.0 het red
    2.0 pastel 1.0 mojave 1.0 Lesser
    1.0 het clown 0.22 normals
    1.0 boxer 0.0.1 red foot

Thanks

one het male can be breed to like 5-7 snakes. And if you get albinos that female is a het. The male can be tougher becuase it is one male for each female

1.6 BP 1.1 het albino BP 1.0 Creamsicle Corn 1.0 Viper Gecko 1.1 Crested Gecko 0.1 Leopard Gecko 0.0.3 D. leucs 0.0.2 D. tincs Cobalt 0.0.4 Baby Eastern Box Turtles

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Are you asking about the numbering/naming scheme for the animals or just verifying the status of proven hets for sale?

I suppose there is something to be said for generic names only including information that isn't going to change (maybe gender, year of birth, and a sequential hatchling number of some kind). That way you don't need to change the name of an animal when it changes from possible het to proven het. All the genetic info would be stored separate from the name and can be updated as needed in a database or list of some kind.

I started off with a naming scheme that includes a letter for the project (like A for albino) but doesn't get as specific as 100% or possible het. If I where starting over I probably wouldn’t even include that generic level of genetic info. What about when a possible het proves (as much as possible) not to be a het? Do you change its name to no longer include the morph project designator? What about projects involving more than one gene or unexpected hets proven through chance breedings? This has already happened a number of times and should become more common as possible hets approach normal prices and are tracked less often and sold as normals.

As far as verifying proven hets for sale purposes pictures seem to work well. I'm sure having pictures of the animal breeding, on eggs, the same eggs in the incubator, and then with morphs coming out of them would help a lot. I've started to number my eggs with a ball point pen (probably want to avoid the smell felt tips but write lightly) each year as the appearance of an egg can change during incubation. I suppose if you have a lot hatching out at the same time it could also be an added safeguard in addition to labeling tubs of eggs to prevent mix-ups.