Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,842

1 members and 2,841 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: GTP Help

Thanks

GTP Help

Hi Gang,

I recently adopted my 4th python, a 2-year old Green Tree and the seller included his 24" cube acrylic custom cage. This snake is amazingly dog tame and doesn't mind being handled a bit. The seller kept his Pro Products radiant heat panel so I replaced it with a new one (40 watt). My Johnson Controls thermostat is still en route so I picked up a cheaper thermostat from the local pet shop. The ambient temperature is 84 degrees and humidity is stable at 80%. The GTP ate a fuzzy mouse on Wednesday evening. Yesterday and today the snake seem to prefer laying in the substrate to either one of his/her perches. I was just curious is this is normal behavior for a GTP as it wouldn't seem to be consistent with what I've read. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Thanks

Re: GTP Help

I won't pretend to have any personal experience with GTPs, but you might want to compare the temperatures where the perches are with the floor temp. Even though the ambient temp is 84, the temps at the top of the enclosure may be too high.

Thanks

Yes, it is normal for a GTP to ground themselves from time to time. Much more so than an ETB. As long as the temps and humidity are alright, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also, does your python have more than one perch in a heat zone?

Thanks

Hey Gang,

Thanks for the advice. I tried turning down the thermostat a little in the likelihood that the temperature at the upper perch is too high. It just seemed ironic that as soon as I put in the Pro Products Radiant panel (that's a phenomenal company, by the way) the GTP retreated to the ground. Of course, it also coincides with him recently eating so I'm dealing with two variables. I ordered an infrared thermometer to try to spot check a couple of locations. The snake has an upper (6" from the panel) perch and a lower one (6" from the substrate). The panel is set off center to give the GTP the ability to retreat from the heat as appropriate.

This is the first GTP I've kept (currently also have an albino female ball and an albino het male ball) and most of my experience has been with larger boids (Burmese, Rock, etc.). I will say that so far this one is the most intriguing.

Thanks again for the tips!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum! We'd love to see some pics of your collection!
    -- Judy

Thanks

i've got a wamena that likes to ground himself every now and then. just keep the temps right and make sure there are a couple of perches so they can choose. you can also try to wrap the perches with some fake vines/leaves for cover. (it may be a security thing)

vaughn