Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 840

2 members and 838 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BC Breeders??

Thanks

BC Breeders??

Looking to purchase a royal python. Color is more important then gender at the moment...haven't quite decided on morph.

Was wondering if anyone knew a breeder in southwestern BC so that I can "walk" it across the border to US, website with pics of available now and later a plus. Prefer a baby who is being feed live.
    Sometimes I feel like the RED SHIRT in the Star Trek episode of life.

Thanks

Re: BC Breeders??

Your looking for a breeder in Canada so you can bring it back to U.S.? or did I misread your post...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zodiac
    Looking to purchase a royal python. Color is more important then gender at the moment...haven't quite decided on morph.

Was wondering if anyone knew a breeder in southwestern BC so that I can "walk" it across the border to US, website with pics of available now and later a plus. Prefer a baby who is being feed live.
    Why do you want to buy one from BC if you live in the US?
    Jason

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zodiac
    Was wondering if anyone knew a breeder in southwestern BC so that I can "walk" it across the border to US
    Why would you want to do that? With the required CITES import and export paperwork, health certificates, and multiple inspections it would be cheaper just to have the animal shipped to you from inside the US.

Actually, I'm not even sure that you can legally "walk" a CITES listed species across the US/Canadian border ... maybe with a port exemption??

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

The exchange rate is indeed in your favor but one thing I'm not sure of "Is it considered an export" from BC? Are you considering this because you can't find someone near you? Take a look at the following link. Just trying to keep you from having legal challenges along your way. Hope it helps.

http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=32

Tony.....

3.1 Crumb Snatchers
    0.1 Domestic Engineer

Thanks

Thanks for clearing it up Adam..
    Tony.....

3.1 Crumb Snatchers
    0.1 Domestic Engineer

Thanks

....and usually ball pythons cost a bit more in Canada. So you will be spending more and taking a risk...
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Unhappy Re: BC Breeders??

Actually, I'm not even sure that you can legally "walk" a CITES listed species across the US/Canadian border ... maybe with a port exemption??

With a certificate from the breeder and local vet. stating that the animal was breed in captivity and is free of parasites and disease I can literally "walk" it across the border without an troubles...a small import fee on the US side, then a second trip to a vet...return with the US documentation of a clean bill of health and she can stay....Why two vets. opinions? Dunno know. But a physical on the Canadian side is $30 (CND) which is about $20-25 (US), my vet, here on the US side charges $15 for a physical...so max $40 for the total physical.

Why canada?? I live on the US side of the border with BC (2 mins walking from Abortsford/Sumas crossing) and I would much rather purchase on site then worry about something happening to the baby during UPS/FEDex transit...I lost a baby corn that way not too long ago due to a combination of packaging error and "shipping" error ie leaving it outside to freeze to death when we had a bit of snow and the container was clearly labeled LIVE ANIMAL....KEEP INSIDE. Needless to say, I was not very happy, neither was I happy with the breeder when I contacted them. And yes, they were a US breeder.

I know some are wondering why I don't buy from a local pet store...the conditions that the pet co has nearby is appalling. The red tails that they have for sell are weak and malnurished, stuffed 6 to a half foot by foot long tank that is over crowded with furnishings that are covered in muck.

The bearded dragons are literally eating each other in the over crowded tanks and the only thing that I can think when ever I see them is that death would be a much kinder fate for them then spending weeks in misery only to die a month later because of metabolic bone disease, inbreeding, or something much worse. Unfortunetly, WA state law in regards to animal rights hasn't quite caught up with the exotic animals, at least nothing that was smaller then a tiger cub.

Thanks for the link ARamos8, I'll definetly check it out.

All and all, I don't want to repeat the experience of losing a "baby" before I even get it home again....However, if anyone can suggest a reliable/reputable breeder in the states, I will certainly give them some thought.
    Last edited by Black_Zodiac; 01-24-2006 at 06:20 AM.
    Sometimes I feel like the RED SHIRT in the Star Trek episode of life.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Adam Wysocki is one of the best! There are several members here who have all ordered from him. Myself, Daniel, Ken, Christie, Wendy (I think), Joanna - to name a few. He also has rave reviews on the Fauna BOI. In fact, he replied to this thread. Give him a call! Besides being a great breeder, he's a great guy to talk to as well!

Thanks

Not questioning your facts, but that procedure sounds like the one applied to canines and felines entering the United States.

I'm very sorry you had a bad shipping experience. Sadly that does occasionally happen but going with a top notch breeder who has a good, long term working relationship with his preferred shipper cuts those risks down substantially. I've received a snake in from Adam of 8BallPythons and can tell you it was a seemless transition for the snake, which came out of it's packing warm and toasty and showing very little stress.

Most of us completely understand your decision to avoid a pet store purchase. Though I myself have purchased from a pet store in the past, having gone with a breeder for our male het for albino ball python, the difference in quality of the snake and so much less stress for us, is well worth finding the right breeder to work with.

Adam can confirm the timeline but if memory serves our snake was packed late Monday afternoon and was in my hands at my front door by noon on Tuesday. During the entire time he was in transit I was able to track the snake through the tracking number Adam provided. All in all, a good breeder knows how and when to ship safely and barring extreme or unforeseen circumstances, the vast majority of snakes arrive safe and sound to their new homes.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast