Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

3 members and 3,070 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Worms

Thanks

Phoenix Worms

Has anyone ever tried phoenix worm, there the same price as crickets and are just as nutrious. They have a little less protein and little more fat but not much. They have way more calcium to. Could you train geckos to eat them.

Thanks

Re: Phoenix Worms

I did a search to find out more info on 'Phoenix worms' awhile back this is what I found:

here is a quote from another forum from the 'creator' of the Phoenix worms:

"The extra Small and Small "hold" for two months or longer in the cup; Medium and Large will "turn" sooner. Keep at 60 - 70 degrees to slow pupation. Adults are great food, too.

You're right about the calcium/phosphorus ratio. That is really what got us interested in developing this insect for the herp food market--finally a ready to eat food that's naturally high in calcium, no need to dust or gut load. And then we discovered that the wiggly worms were especially appealing, even to pets who were reluctant eaters. Phoenix Worms are much more active than mealworms, superworms and silkworms! Breeders at Sun Pet Ltd. in Atlanta conducted a 6-mo. replicated study feeding hatchling Leopard Geckos nothing but Phoenix Worms and they did not develop any signs of metabolic bone disease. There is more info on this subject in our brochure and additional information will be available on our web site which should be up and running in about a week. Check out www.phoenixworm.com.

We don't know of any parasites that are transferable to reptiles.

The testing started in 2001 with Allen Repashy's Sandfire Dragons. Allen contacted me concerning the possibility of Hermetia illucens being developed for the herp trade and I sent him prepupae for testing. Much has been done since then, particularly with breeders at Sun Pet in Atlanta. They have fed most of their amphibians and reptiles Phoenix Worms and found eager acceptance from nearly all, except for larger reptiles and snakes. We've also worked with a poison arrow frog breeder in Washington who reported that all of his frogs love this worm. And hobbyists across the country have helped with our research by feeding their turtles, geckos, bearded dragons, anoles, chameleons, tarantulas, scorpions, and fish--all with great results. Thanks, Allen, for suggesting we develop this insect for herp enthusiasts!

Good luck with your pets, Q.

Regards,
    Dr. Sheppard"
    He says that the site will present more info in the next week or so. I had to search around....it was bothering me....the site is http://www.phoenixworm.com/

I also had to look up the worm to find more info....commonly known as the black soldier fly....here is some info: http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/LM-10-7.pdf ....that info was a little unsettling to me so I decided that they would not be a good choise to feed....mealies are much better and more proven...IMO.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

i haven't tried them myself but have heard great things about them. can you get them locally? you should be able to get your geckos to eat them--as long as they are moving they should attract their interest.
    - Emily

Thanks

I can't get them locally but there as cheap to order online as crickets. Im going to try them, I think if I put them in a bowl then put the geckos next to it they should be interested enough to eat them.

Thanks

Armstrong Crickets is one of the places that carries them so I was looking into getting them for my beardies since Armstrong is 20 min away from me. I am the kinda person that hates to try the 'new thing' on the market at the chance that the new thing is not a good thing. I will stick with what has proven to work well for now

Personally, I did not like the fact that they pupate into flies. I can deal with beetles but opening a container and ending up with flies buzzing around just wasn't for me

Let us know how they work for you.
    -Daniel Hill

Thanks

I think Im going to try them, If I breed some of my geckos, I will run an experiment with them and crickets. The fly thing ain't bad since I will be getting the x-tra smalls. By the time they get ready to become flies I will feed them to my fish.

Thanks

Who are you getting them from?
    -Daniel Hill

Thanks

Either wormman.com or phoenixworm.com. They're both about the same price. wormman has been very helpful about them and has answered all my questions and more.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I ordered some form wormman - should be here soon. He was having a sale so they were really cheap. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I plan to feed to my bluetongues and try my crested.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks

I ordered to from him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast