Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

1 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Keeping bloods

Thanks

Keeping bloods

Hi

I have been into keeping snakes for not long now,but I’ve loved every minute of keeping them,at the moment i keep two ball pythons.And have always loved the blood pythons.

I plan to save for a Viv,stat etc. before purchasing a blood python.
    I have read countless care sheets,but i really want to hear views from the owners themselves.

I know they can be quite nervous and quick to bite,and have huge girth and weight to them.

I’d like to hear how your bloods behave,and just how fat are they,lol. What you have to watch out for and general tips on keeping this amazing species.

It will be a while before i purchase on,around may probably(hopefully).
    Before that i will save up for the equipment first,I’d also like to see pictures of your set ups and snakes etc.I need some inspiration.

So any info,tips and just to point me in the right direction would be amazing,thanks.

Thanks

Re: Keeping bloods

I only had my baby Blood for a month or so, I just sent her out to her new daddy recently. But she kind of dispelled all things I've heard about Blood babies. She was the calmest of all of my snakes. I loved her, but really only rescued her from a bad situation. I can tell you that make sure you get an appropriately sized enclosure. Babies get really stressed in big places. Tekla wouldn't eat in her 20 gallon, but she ate in a 10 gallon. The biggest thing with adults is floor space.

That's all I really have for you, I'm not really that knowledged but I'm sure someone else will be along shortly. Nice BPs by the way!
    (Formerly HadesBP18)
    1.0 Spider: Artemas
    1.0 Mojave coming soon!
    0.1 High Contrast Albino coming soon!
    1.1 Pastels: Hyperion and Theia (DSD Pastel girl coming soon!)
    1.0 BCI: Kozma

RIP Kalypso 11/13/13

Lobo Reptiles

Thanks

We have 1.1 brongersmai and a male curtus curtus.

Both brongersmai were initially nippy as young - their girth, willingness to vocalize (a LOT) and strength can be intimidating at first. To this day they "get noisy" when removing them from their enclosures for cleaning etc but neither has taken a swing at me in quite some time, and once out they quiet down pretty quickly.

The black blood on the other hand was utterly docile from the get go - less prone to be noisy, very tractable.

The only thing I really have to look out for:

~trace smells - I wouldnt reach for them after doing anything with the rats - they are hands-down our best eaters - all 3 of em.

~handling - they are HEAVY for their size - takes two hands to support them well

~humidity - crucial - have added additional sphagnum moss to their enclosures as the home heat in winter is very dry

~as previously mentioned floor space - these are very terrestrial - recently moved the two big 'uns into larger lower enclosures - the downside to this is during feeding when they strike and coil the coils actually push the lid of the enclosure up.

~they seem to do better in low lighting/low exposure environments (huge spaces and glass walls dont do much at all to help them feel secure lol)

Gorgeous rewarding snakes to keep - I lubs my bloods.

(edited for spellink)

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

Thanks,if anyone else wants to share their experiences with their bloods i'd be delighted to hear them.

I've always loved the Python brongersmai,is the temprement unbearable or with some work can they become alot more calm and easy to handle.
    If i'd like to see maybe a video of some sort to see just how they react to handling.

I've heard they like darkness,which way of heating do you choose?Do you suggest a Exo Terra Heat Wave Lamp maybe or a infrared bulb on a dimmer stat,i'd like to hear your views.

Just how wide is their girth,i'd love to see pictures with something i can compare it too.

I really have my mind set on a red blood,but if a black blood is the direction i should take that would be fine.

How long did it take you guys to get them to calm down,how much did you handle them etc.?

Thanks alot your help so far has been amazing.

Thanks

I love my two bloods. I recommend using flexwatt for a heat pad with a good thermostat.

My male has always been the more nippy of the two. As a baby, he struck a lot out of fear, but he is much calmer now. I can pick him out of his tub bare handed and not worry about him eating me.

The female is shy and nervous, but has never bitten me. She struck at me only a couple of times.

I'll add that I don't handle them much. Usually once or twice a week when cages are cleaned.

They are both 14 months old now, here's a recent picture:

Here's a pic of a good sized blood:

http://www.vpi.com/4VPIInventory/Gal...BloodPage1.htm

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Because their native habitat is relatively high humidity you might want to go UTH and avoid bulbs altogether to avoid that uphill climb. Consistent handling is key and of course avoid abrupt jerky movements near them. I just snapped a couple of pics and other than the greeting hiss they had no objections to being picked up. I handle them at least weekly but most interaction is functional (cleaning etc) though from time to time I have them out longer - folks are fascinated by their beefiness and they certainly look the part of the mean snake. My son's blood (the black) was a puppy from the get-go and is still one of the most mellow snakes in the house. Don't take this as any sort of generalization to any species as a whole - just how it works with these three. To be sure both brongersmai were total spitfires at first!

Kali during a water change

Vader going back on newsprint

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

OHHH Vader is VERY pretty
    0.1 BP - Karma
    1.0 JCP - Tre
    0.1 RTB - Pixel
    1.0 Burm - Boost
    ---- non herp
    1.0 Lab Mix - Gauge
    0.1 Black Cat - Chloe
    1.0 Boy Toy - Jared

Thanks

Brilliant bloods guys,im hypnotized by the brongersmai there colors and pattern are amazing,no doubt they looks evil,but i suppose thats what i love about them.

I really want to get my hands on one.

More hints and info would be brilliant,if anyone feels like it please post.

If anyone could put me onto a link where i can view the items i need for heating a bloods viv that would be a real help.

You guys are brilliant,your snakes look incredible,i envy you for it.

Thanks.