Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

1 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Malignant tumor confirmed

Well I heard from vet's surgery today (vet is away till Monday but spoke to someone else).

Sadly it appears my rescue corn definitely has a malignant tumor - so we're back to vet's with her on Monday to see what is best to do. Vet himself hasn't seen the wound since he operated and it still has its protective cover on. The wound is large (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter) and was originally thought to have occurred from a neglected bite from another snake (though we think that may have happened too as when our local reptile seller first saw the snake he saw 2 puncture wounds and venom oozing out).

The lady (another vet I think) I spoke to didn't seem too optimistic of the outcome - it will be either more cutting or euthanasia

I haven't had her long (only a few weeks) but you get so attached to these critters.

Has anyone else had successful outcomes of malignant tumors in snakes? I know these things can take longer to become really bad because of the snake's slow metabolism.

Sue

Thanks

Re: Malignant tumor confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Razaiel
    (though we think that may have happened too as when our local reptile seller first saw the snake he saw 2 puncture wounds and venom oozing out).

Umm yeah, first I have EVER heard that, corn snakes do not have venom and do not have the right kind of "teeth" to leave 2 puncture marks and if thats what it was bit by, there would not be any vemon muchless 2 puncture marks. I think your local reptile seller lacks any concrete knowledge as demonstrated in his comment that there were puncture marks with venom oozing out. If I were you, I would find someone more knowledgeable who can talk to you locally. Like a vet.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    Umm yeah, first I have EVER heard that, corn snakes do not have venom and do not have the right kind of "teeth" to leave 2 puncture marks and if thats what it was bit by, there would not be any vemon muchless 2 puncture marks. I think your local reptile seller lacks any concrete knowledge as demonstrated in his comment that there were puncture marks with venom oozing out. If I were you, I would find someone more knowledgeable who can talk to you locally. Like a vet.
    There has been some confusion about what really happened all along with this poor critter. Like I said, it wasn't mine when it allegedly got bitten - I came along some 2-3 months afterward, rescued it and dashed it straight to vet : first off we were told by the little kid whose snake it was was that it was bitten by another of the enclosure occupants (there were three corns in a very small enclosure ) - later on the story was changed to "all the corns had ticks but mommy got rid of them". So we just don't know what the real story is. But maybe it wasn't bitten at all and the growing tumor caused everything? I really don't know, but I'm going to ask the vet that on Monday.

Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear about that Sue! I know how attached you've gotten to the little guy. If it comes to the worst case senario of putting him down, at least you will know you gave the little guy a great home for at least a little bit. Definitely keep us updated after the vet visit.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I will, Christie - and thanks I just wish there was more I could do but know there isn't (unless the vet suddently comes up with a life-saving plan).

Could a bite/tick cause a tumor? Or is it likely just coincidence I wonder ... maybe there never was a bite at all and that is how tumors erupt. I know it doesn't make any difference now, but I just feel I'd like to know.

Sue

Thanks

Tumors are basically cells that have mutated for some reason and begin to reproduce incorrectly. Malignant tumors begin to invade other cells and benign ones only stay unto themselves. (I hope that kinda explains it.) No, I don't believe a tumor could have been a result of a bite or tick. Ticks can transmit (through blood exchange) viruses, but it would have to be blood based and would be transmitted through the circulatory system.

I'd write down all your questions and take them to the vet. That way you won't have to worry about remembering everything, on top of the stress of the vet visit.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Sue I'm so sorry to read about the little rescued corn and the tumour. I can't offer you any words other than support and care during this tough time. As Christie said, write your questions out before the vet visit as it may be a stress filled time for you. Trust yourself to make the best, most humane decision for this snake with the advice of your vet and you'll do what is best, I'm very sure of that.

Our thoughts are with you dear.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

I am so sorry .Lord only knows what the poor little guy really went thru .Look at it this way if he does have to be put down at least the time he was with you he was well taken care of.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Sorry to hear the news. I know it's rough when that a decision that has to be made. < I've just gone thru with it with our cat, and Snoopy got sick, passing despite what the vet and I could do. >

Just know that we're here for you, no matter what you decide. And like joepythons....It's tough, but he has had a caring, LOVING home with you! That's important, too!!!!

Thoughts and heartfelt prayers with you.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

I'm so sorry... but it's great that you've done so much for him! You've really been doing all you can... what more can anyone ask?
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast