Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

1 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

No more retics and burms in NY?

Well I was just reading the Expo cite and found this. People are still allowed to keep them right? http://reptileexpo.com/ny_main.htm WTF!!

1.6 BP 1.1 het albino BP 1.0 Creamsicle Corn 1.0 Viper Gecko 1.1 Crested Gecko 0.1 Leopard Gecko 0.0.3 D. leucs 0.0.2 D. tincs Cobalt 0.0.4 Baby Eastern Box Turtles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: No more retics and burms in NY?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby23
    People are still allowed to keep them right?
    Nope, not for a year now.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Here is a cut'n'paste from a post I did on another forum awhile back with some links discussing NY herp laws, hope this helps

here is the part governing reptiles. From New york city.

(10) Reptiles (Reptilia). All Helodermatidae (gila monster and Mexican beaded lizard); all front-fanged venomous snakes, even if devenomized, including, but not limited to, all Viperidae (viper, pit viper), all Elapidae (cobra, mamba, krait, coral snake), all Atractaspididae (African burrowing asp), all Hydrophiidae (sea snake), all Laticaudidae (sea krait); all venomous, mid-or rear-fanged, Duvernoy-glanded members of the family Colubridae, even if devenomized; any member, or hybrid offspring of the family Boidae, including, but not limited to, the common or green anaconda and yellow anaconda; any member of the family Pythonidae, including but not limited to the African rock python, Indian or Burmese python, Amethystine or scrub python; any member of the family Varanidae, including the white throated monitor, Bosc's or African savannah monitor, Komodo monitor or dragon, Nile monitor, crocodile monitor, water monitor, Bornean earless monitor; any member of the family Iguanidae, including the green or common iguana; any member of the family teiidae, including, but not limited to the golden, common, or black and white tegu; all members of the family Chelydridae, including snapping turtle and alligator snapping turtle; and all members of the order Crocodylia, including, but not limited to alligator, caiman and crocodile.
    here is the link
    http://canines.com/rescue/animallaw.shtml

Here is another law centered around wild animals and reptiles
    Sec. 370. Protection of the public from attack by wild
    animals and reptiles. Any person owning, possessing or harboring
    a wild animal or reptile capable of inflicting bodily harm upon a
    human being, who shall fail to exercise due care in safeguarding
    the public from attack by such wild animal or reptile, is guilty
    of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than
    one year, or by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars, or
    by both. "Wild animal" within the meaning of this section, shall
    not include a dog or cat or other domestic animal.
    Previous attacks upon a human being by such wild animal or
    reptile, or knowledge of the vicious propensities of such wild
    animal or reptile, on the part of the possessor or harborer
    thereof, shall not be required to be proven by the people upon a
    prosecution hereunder; and neither the fact that such wild animal
    or reptile has not previously attacked a human being, nor lack of
    knowledge of the vicious propensities of such wild animal or
    reptile on the part of the owner, possessor or harborer thereof
    shall constitute a defense to a prosecution hereunder.
    The link
    http://www.pawsoswego.org/art26.html

Here is another link to a forum with a post about NY herp laws
    http://www.**********.com/showthread.php?t=1529

here is another and from what I read above this law has been signed.
    http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/pri...?t=12977&pp=40
    I know this is long, but it took me less than 5 min to find.

Thanks

I think you have to have permits that cost somewhere around $90 a year...not sure though. I remember reading about this a long time ago...haven't seen a burm in a pet store since. Sucks because I want all those big snakes...
    (Formerly HadesBP18)
    1.0 Spider: Artemas
    1.0 Mojave coming soon!
    0.1 High Contrast Albino coming soon!
    1.1 Pastels: Hyperion and Theia (DSD Pastel girl coming soon!)
    1.0 BCI: Kozma

RIP Kalypso 11/13/13

Lobo Reptiles

Thanks

My friend (wel actualy his brother, but they live together) has a gator, burm, and yellow belly anaconda all not allowed lol. I think he has permits and his dad is a cop so that probably helps

1.6 BP 1.1 het albino BP 1.0 Creamsicle Corn 1.0 Viper Gecko 1.1 Crested Gecko 0.1 Leopard Gecko 0.0.3 D. leucs 0.0.2 D. tincs Cobalt 0.0.4 Baby Eastern Box Turtles

Registered User The Cannibal Monkey's Avatar
    Thanks

That kind of sucks =( Just my personal opinion, but I tend to think a dog would be much more likely to do damage to a person than any reptile (barring venomous of course)...a lot of times I think they're just catering to negative public image of animals, but a lot of places have laws against ferrets, and I've read that they've been domesticated longer than cats (anyone else heard this?), so I dunno...can't say I'm not biased at all

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Cannibal Monkey
    That kind of sucks =( Just my personal opinion, but I tend to think a dog would be much more likely to do damage to a person than any reptile (barring venomous of course)...a lot of times I think they're just catering to negative public image of animals, but a lot of places have laws against ferrets, and I've read that they've been domesticated longer than cats (anyone else heard this?), so I dunno...can't say I'm not biased at all
    The truth is that the animal rights activists want the ownership of all animals banned. They put pressure on politicians to inact laws to make it illegal to even own goldfish. The politicians want to be re-elected, so they won't go so far as to ban dog or cat ownership, but they also want campaign contributions from the animal rights groups so they pick on a minority group like reptile owners .... Since the general public has a stigma against reptiles anyway, the politicians figure that they won't alienate too many voters.

But the problem is, once the animal rights people get reptiles banned, then they have a victory, then they can say ... "Well since you agreed to ban reptiles and there was no back lash, let me explain how rodents (ferrets, rabbits, hamster) can spread disease ... we should ban them too" ... After the rodents, it's birds .... after birds, it's "dangerous" dog breeds ... why not right? ... Well, what do you think they're going to go after once all of those animals are banned?

Stand up, be vocal, and don't give in an INCH!

(ok, off the soap box now)

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

I'd go crazy if they tried to ban any reptiles I have now. I like to get into heated conversations with herp owners from my area over it. But our WNY Herp Society is a popular and well-known entity of the area so I doubt they'd even consider it locally.

I have a ferret and they're the most non-dangerous animals I've ever had Unless you count sock stealing and cheese doodle storing worthy of capital punishment.
    (Formerly HadesBP18)
    1.0 Spider: Artemas
    1.0 Mojave coming soon!
    0.1 High Contrast Albino coming soon!
    1.1 Pastels: Hyperion and Theia (DSD Pastel girl coming soon!)
    1.0 BCI: Kozma

RIP Kalypso 11/13/13

Lobo Reptiles

Registered User The Cannibal Monkey's Avatar
    Thanks

Ferrets are adorable, I wish I had the time, room, and money for one! lol

Adam, you make an excellent point. Although I think the overall negative opinion of reptiles will not be changed anytime soon due to their portrayal in the media, I would hope people in general are intelligent enough not to get too swept up in the animal activists' fear mongering...though the ban against pit bulls and other "dangerous" breeds in certain areas is a depressing example of how people will assume one or two bad animals are representative of an entire breed/species. That was just because of one very high-profile story, too...if that's all it takes...well...responsible owners just need to work that much harder.

Sorry if that sounds disjunct, I have a lot of strong opinions on this subjuct, like I'm sure most of you do. I do appreciate the banter =P

Thanks

Yep.. I of course agree with you all. Every time I hear of another proposed ban - whether it be against pit bulls (one of my favorite breeds) or certain species of reptiles, I get very angry with animal rights activists.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast