Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,366

1 members and 2,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Post Rescue Anerythristic Corn update ... tumor???

This was under "Royal Corn" - but as she definitely isn't I've started a new topic.

Well, Miss Snakey (aka Noelle or Yuki) - I still have her and she had been undergoing various antibiotics. Today I took her to vet for an update as her wound (supposedly bite-induced after being with 2 other corns in same enclosure) didn't seem to be a lot better - she kept opening the wound and it would bleed. Well the scab had dried off quite a bit but the vet thought it would be better for him to operate immediately to remove the scab, close up the wound (which is some 1 1/2 inches in diameter) and maybe do a skin graft. (He is away in the US for a few days now so thought he'd do it before he went)

Well he phoned me about an hour ago to say the operation as it was was a success (she was still sleepy and I can ring again later to see how she's doing) - but he had found some of the tissue sourrounding it was strange looking - and it could be indicative of a tumor which had caused the wound (he had forgotten I think that I had said it was probably a bite) - this abnormal tissue is apparently white and hard tissuey (if I can remember right) and he's sending it off for analysis and we won't know for a week to 10 days. When I reminded him that the wound was supposed to be from a bite he sounded a bit more optimistic that it might not be a tumor.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, I guess, but has this happened to anyone else? Can bites tissue resemble tumor tissue? and if it is a snake tumor (i.e. cancer - but he didn't use that word) are they curable or maybe non-malignant?

I feel so devastated now after all she's been through with those f*****s that couldn't give a s**t about their reptiles - I really thought everything would be OK.

Thanks

Re: Rescue Anerythristic Corn update ... tumor???

a tumor does not necessarily mean cancer.

i suppose if it was irritating her then she would rub at it and it could turn into a wound that looked like a bite, dont be down hun, hope for the best.
    2.1.1 Corn Snakes
    2.1.0 Royal (Ball) Pythons
    1.0.0 Grey Banded Kingsnake
    0.2.0 Leopard Geckos
    3 dogs, 5 hamsters, 1 cat, 3 mice and lots of local wildlife

Thanks

It could be any number of things. It's possible it's just a bit of scar tissue. I know this is easier said than done, but try not to worry. Wait until you get biopsy results to stress, and by then you'll probably find you have nothing to worry about.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Thanks for your replies You're right - I am stressing too much unnecessarily - I'm good at that If there are two options - one good and one bad - I always assume the worst :/ I will just have to wait and see what the results show up.

Thanks

I completely understand the need to stress, as I do that very well. The trick is to only stress when you have to. (Did that make any sense?) Keep thinking positive thoughts, and not I'm positive he's got a tumor!! If you need to vent go ahead, and let us know when the results come in.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand