Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,669

3 members and 2,666 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Question Advice for a newb getting into morphs?

I recently discovered that I love keeping snakes as pets, and I am totally loving my pair of ball pythons. I think I would like to keep several more and begin breeding morphs. I don't have any illusions of getting rich off snake breeding (I make enough at my job, thx) however I would like to at least be able to eventually recoup the immense costs of buying my initial breeding stock. I am seriously considering spending about 2k on a pair of het pieds and a pair of het albinos at topshelfexotic.com in the near future. What I am looking for is just any advice you can give to someone starting out... often the most important questions when getting into something like this are the ones you don't know to ask. The ones that have been on my mind are, what should i start with and what should my startup strategy be (e.g., spend lots early on the double recessives or go for the less expensive hets or possible hets? Concentrate on one or two main morphs or go for a variety? Work with recessives, co-doms, or some combination?) Also are there certain types of breeders I should avoid buying from? Should I buy online or wait for the chance to go to shows? Also for those of you who are already into breeding bp morphs, is it is rewarding as you'd hoped? Do you find that you spend a lot of time with your expensive morphs or tend to keep them safely in their homes? To me this seems like a really interesting hobby with the opportunity to play with some mendelian genetics, plus the fun of caring for ball pythons, which so far have won my title of "best pet ever." And I've had a lot of different pets! Anyway hope this stirs up some good discussion and feedback.
    Thanks!
    -Justin

Thanks

Re: Advice for a newb getting into morphs?

A piece of advice that Adam gave me a few months ago was breed what you love. Find the morph or morphs that you absolutely love and go for it. I absolutely love lesser platinums but lack the 25K i need to get going on them =P But, fortunately, I really really like Albinos too so Im going to start with them and I plan on using my profits to climb up the morph ladder to get lessers and whatever amazing morphs that will be out there in the next 5-10 years.

I constantly scour kingsnake.com and faunaclassifieds.com looking at morphs, thier prices and saving pictures. I Keep lots of notes and I am constantly revising my plans. I purchased a 100% het albino female from topshelf (she hasnt been shipped yet due to Michigan's lovely winter) They were great to deal with and I recomend them. Good luck in whatever direction or directions you decide to take

JT
    1.0 Normal - Hatched 8/05 (Charlie) Avatar pic (1365g)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lemon Pastel (Daisy)

Thanks

in addition to the above, really do your homework on the breeder and check referrals. if you're buying hets, you really want to make sure the breeder is top notch. shows are good to check out alot of breeders and morphs. if you're going to invest in morphs get your females first, raise them for a year or so and then get your males. invest in what you like, there is plenty to choose from. don't settle or go for the cheapest animal, not all the time(but alot), the cheapest is for a reason!

vaughn

Thanks

Im just getting into the morph arena. i cant wait to get my 4 new snakes. Jtman where is SE Michigan are you from. im in NW Ohio. just east of Toledo.
    0.1 Normal BP -Persephone (goddess of the underworld)

Thanks

I am about 15 miles south of Detroit =)
    1.0 Normal - Hatched 8/05 (Charlie) Avatar pic (1365g)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lemon Pastel (Daisy)

Thanks

I would have to agree with everyone that has responded in this thread.

I got bit pretty hard by the BP bug a little less than 6 months ago, and have gotten into four morphs, and grown my collection to 19 BP's, (3 males out of that).

Risk vs Reward is how I'd look at the double recessives... you can get a pair of DH Snows for around 5k, and even if you don't produce a snow in the first season of breeding, you'll probably be able to get your money back out of the albinos and axanthics you produce.

Good luck with your endeavor!
    Ken