Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

1 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Exclamation Oooppps! I housed two balls together!!!

Wow, don't I fell stupid....
    My friend gave me her two ball pythons about 5 years ago when they were babies, in the same cage. I was told that they were male and female (never had them probed, although I think I will), and that they are fine together. Of course, I did research on them ,and gave them a beautiful home with proper heating, humidity, water, substrate, ect., but never once did I come across this information about not having 2 together......... so now It's 5 years and about 4 feet later...... what do I do????????

I always thought ::they like eachother:: cause they curl up together and whenever I take them out they go towards eachother. *smacks forehead*

*****For the last week, they haven't been interacting or sleeping together, and I thought something was wrong (thats what brought me here). Then I found out about this.......
    Please help, and please please don't critisize me....I don't want to feel any more stupid than I already feel....thanks

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Oooppps! I housed two balls together!!!

found out...?????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PJ FF
    found out...?????
    Yeah, as in "came across the information." I mean, I'm just guessing here, but it doesn't seem too hard to grasp ahold of the notion.
    1.0.0 Ball Python - "Mr. Bojangles"
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko - "Zeppelin"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, a quick solution is to go out to WalMart and get a Rubbermaid or Sterilite tub for one of them, and get it set up as a separate enclosure. I picked up a couple for $8 each. Then I got a $5 solder wand and put ventilation holes in it all around and also got some plastic bowls from the Dollar Store and used the solder wand to melt out a doorway in each bowl (one for warm side, one for cool side) and will be getting flexwatt for the heating and thermostat to regulate the temps. Oh yeah, and I picked up a few $11 AcuRite digital thermometer/hygrometers at WalMart too (I'm getting a few more snakes - LOL)

That way you can get them separated. Give the one that goes in the new enclosure time to acclimate to it. I'd recommend getting it set up and regulate the temps and humidity before introducing the snake to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    Well, a quick solution is to go out to WalMart and get a Rubbermaid or Sterilite tub for one of them, and get it set up as a separate enclosure. I picked up a couple for $8 each. Then I got a $5 solder wand and put ventilation holes in it all around and also got some plastic bowls from the Dollar Store and used the solder wand to melt out a doorway in each bowl (one for warm side, one for cool side) and will be getting flexwatt for the heating and thermostat to regulate the temps. Oh yeah, and I picked up a few $11 AcuRite digital thermometer/hygrometers at WalMart too (I'm getting a few more snakes - LOL)

That way you can get them separated. Give the one that goes in the new enclosure time to acclimate to it. I'd recommend getting it set up and regulate the temps and humidity before introducing the snake to it.
    Swing by a dollar store or two in your area, also. They often times have comparable goods, if not identical, at even cheaper prices. Besides, you never know what you'll find at a dollar store that you can use later - I recently filled up a shopping cart with Sterilite shoeboxes, no-name tupperware dishes (for water, feed, etc.) and miscellaneous items for just over $25. I don't use them all now, but the second I may need something, my closet's full of goodies

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

OKay, so Im guessing with your replies that there is no possible way that these 2 snakes have gotten used to eachother, and would be harmed by seperation, and (obviously) benefit from it. I was worried because I got the feeling from them that they were feeling stressed, or something was wrong.

I really appreciate your help guys ) It's my first time here, and you are very nice (unlike some forums I've been to, who can be nasty!!)
    Thanks

Thanks

Hi!

I'm glad you've realized your mistake and are taking measures to correct it!

Trust me, they won't 'miss' eachother at all when you separate them.

We hope you stick around, and I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing pics of your babies.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Wink Re: Oooppps! I housed two balls together!!!

Quote Originally Posted by adizziedoll
    OKay, so Im guessing with your replies that there is no possible way that these 2 snakes have gotten used to eachother, and would be harmed by seperation, and (obviously) benefit from it.
    Seperating the snakes won't cause any harm. While we can't know for sure whether your snakes have some sort of emotional and/or psychological bond with one another, the experienced breeders and hobbyists here will tell you (and on good grounds) that they should be in seperate enclosures entirely. It's been said before that while you do see them "snuggling," you can't really know for sure what's happening while you're sleeping and they're being active at night - snakes dominate their territory, just like dogs or cats, and one of them isn't going to be a happy camper.

Sorry if this bursts your bubble - the experienced people here are constantly bursting the bubbles of us not-so-experienced users

Thanks

lucky for u nothing horrible has happened. they've been known to go hannibal on each other sometimes. like the others have said a sterilite or rubbermaid works great as an enclosure

the best of luck to u and ur snakes!
    Alex
    {1.0.0 ball pythons- MONTYcurently being fostered}
    0.3.0 older sisters
    3.0.0 older brother-in-laws
    3.0.0 little brothers
    0.1.0 cutest lil sister ever
    New!!! just added!!!3.0.0. nephew!

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

oh isn't this a great place for information!!! i know i love the way everyone gently tells me what i'm doing "not so right" and then lead me in the "more right" direction

welcome to bp

in light,
    Aleesha
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast