Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

3 members and 2,968 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: School Programs

Thanks

School Programs

Does anyone here do school programs for younger kids? We know a teacher and I might be doing a program for her 5th grade class. What kinds of thing do you all do for the program, Im thinking I just bring in the herps and tell the kids a little about each of them and maybe let them handle one of the snakes.

Thanks

Re: School Programs

I did a lot of that kind of thing when I worked at the reptile zoo. Ages from 4-15 big groups and small groups.

5th graders are going to be old enough to know to listen and respect your instructions (still always keep an eye on the buggers!)

Depending on the animal I'd always tell them a few things that were interesting about it. First I ask if anyone knew what kind of snake/lizard/whatever it is. Kids like it if they get to show off what they know.. and they like to interact. Then walk around to each kid and let them pet/hold the animal as appropriate. Make sure they know that snakes do not like their head/neck touched and not to pat or squeeze anywhere. Most kids haven't been up close with a snake and don't realise they don't like to be pet like a dog.

If any kids are afraid don't try to force them to pet it. Instead try to show them by example how calm and friendly snakes can be. A lot of kids will warm up to the snake if you let them.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Thanks, its still not for sure yet, the teacher has to get it aproved by the principle. What about the big snakes, we have a friend that has a huge red tail that she will let us use for the program, I figure I hold the head and get a couple student to help hold the body (its a giant red tail). Should I bring a big tub of the hand soap for the kids, everytime we had someone show us snakes they always made us use the soap.

Thanks

When I used to do the presentations I had either a 6.5' red tail or a 10-12' burmese python. The snakes were SUPER tame so I could let each kid hold the snake around their neck by themselves.

We always had a bottle of hand sanitizer for the kids.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

ik thanks, im getting real excited now, Im going this week to see the red tail and see how her temperment is.