Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,778

1 members and 2,777 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Another RHP in a 4x2x2 question

Having trouble figuring out what’s best here. Have had my new guy set up in a 4x2x2 for the last 10 days or so. 80 W Vivarium Electronics RHP panel. Took his first meal no problem yesterday. Ambient on the cool side about 77. Issue is the floor on the hot side is only 80. Have a black plastic hide and the surface temp is about 86. I’ve also got about a 2 foot piece hollowed out cork log perched up on the back part of the hide. This is actually where he’s been hiding. Inside of there the ambient temp only gets into the low 80s BUT the top surface reads about 100. The sides about 92, and the bottom 82. That’s at the hottest point on the outside surface. So not knowing exactly how the RHP works, am I losing some energy heating the log surface which is closer to the RHP? Should I ditch it and use the hides alone? Or is the lower ambients inside the hide ok given the surface temps are fairly high (too high). He seems to like it and smashed his food yesterday, just poked his little head out of the opening and cranked it. Poked his head out again this evening so I temped it, was about 84.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,176 Posts

Re: Another RHP in a 4x2x2 question

Quote Originally Posted by mds695 View Post
    Having trouble figuring out what’s best here. Have had my new guy set up in a 4x2x2 for the last 10 days or so. 80 W Vivarium Electronics RHP panel. Took his first meal no problem yesterday. Ambient on the cool side about 77. Issue is the floor on the hot side is only 80. Have a black plastic hide and the surface temp is about 86. I’ve also got about a 2 foot piece hollowed out cork log perched up on the back part of the hide. This is actually where he’s been hiding. Inside of there the ambient temp only gets into the low 80s BUT the top surface reads about 100. The sides about 92, and the bottom 82. That’s at the hottest point on the outside surface. So not knowing exactly how the RHP works, am I losing some energy heating the log surface which is closer to the RHP? Should I ditch it and use the hides alone? Or is the lower ambients inside the hide ok given the surface temps are fairly high (too high). He seems to like it and smashed his food yesterday, just poked his little head out of the opening and cranked it. Poked his head out again this evening so I temped it, was about 84.
    For safety's sake, you can't have a surface temperature in your enclosure of 100F. High temperatures can very quickly injure your snake. Low temperatures take a long time to do so. So, err on the side of caution and reduce the temperature on your thermostat 10F immediately.

On the positive side, it sounds like you have all the tools for a first class set up. Post a pic and we'll help you tweak it until you have the temperature range you're looking for. This thread will show you how: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures.
    Last edited by Homebody; 05-31-2023 at 08:19 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    A picture would definitely help.

Also remember when dealing with heat sources such as a radiant heat panel, ceramic heat emitter, deep heat projector, etc. that the relationship between the intensity of the radiation and the distance from the heat source isn't linear, it's quadratic. So an object two feet from a heat source will only get one quarter of the intensity as an object one foot from it. This is why you don't want a surface under the RHP to go over the low 90's; if your snake lies on it, its back can get a lot hotter than that.

A solid/dense hide such as the wooden half-log will act as thermal mass; it will absorb a lot of heat, hold it, and radiate it slowly over time which is probably why your snake likes being under there.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-31-2023),mistergreen (05-31-2023)

Thanks

Tried everything to get a pic to upload and cant do it. Files too large. I did some rearranging last night and reduced the thermostat. I also dropped the log lower. The max external temp at the highest point is now 92. But inside surface is like 77. Top of the hide is 87, floor inside the hide 82. This is in a 4x2x2. I worry the RHP doesn't have enough juice to heat the floor to an adequate temp.
    Last edited by mds695; 06-01-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks

Another RHP in a 4x2x2 question

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gokx6srjhq...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mds695; 06-01-2023 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    RHP is never going to get the floor to basking temp in that tall of a cage without erasing your temp gradient. Either elevate the basking area or add a UTH for belly heat in the warm hide

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-01-2023),Homebody (06-02-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    RHP is never going to get the floor to basking temp in that tall of a cage without erasing your temp gradient. Either elevate the basking area or add a UTH for belly heat in the warm hide
    That’s what I’m garnering despite copying many common set ups and the shops recommendations. Should’ve went with an 18” height. Any suggestions on how to best elevate the basking area/warm hide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Shelves, perches, stepped series of boxes, small totes with branches/perches/etc propped against it, rocks, etc... This is the fun and creative problem solving part of reptile keeping. Play around with a bunch of options, make note of the pros and cons alongside how well or poorly they're utilized by your critter and determine what's best for your scenario. The correct solution to problems varies depending on the keeper, the kept, the geographic location of both, the temperament of the individuals (both keeper and kept) and so on. Enjoy the ride

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-02-2023),Homebody (06-02-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Shelves, perches, stepped series of boxes, small totes with branches/perches/etc propped against it, rocks, etc... This is the fun and creative problem solving part of reptile keeping. Play around with a bunch of options, make note of the pros and cons alongside how well or poorly they're utilized by your critter and determine what's best for your scenario. The correct solution to problems varies depending on the keeper, the kept, the geographic location of both, the temperament of the individuals (both keeper and kept) and so on. Enjoy the ride
    I guess I should reframe my question a bit better. The RHP easily reaches the basking temps on the top of the hides. The heat just doesn't appear to penetrate to the surface inside the hide. Thats my concern. If I set a hide on top of a rock slab, would that be acceptable and effective?

Thanks
    Try it. I can’t give you a yes or no answer because I don’t have that specific enclosure set up in that specific way in my house under my conditions. Lots of ways to do things right and lots of ways to do things wrong. This is why enclosures should be dialed in well in advance of obtaining the inhabitant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast