Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,781

2 members and 2,779 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Enclosure Swap - Boa to Boa

Is it a bad idea to do an enclosure swap without a full deep clean and complete substrate change? I'm looking to rotate one of my boas into the more display heavy room. They're both mine long term so there's no quarantine situation here. However, I'm not certain if there are pheromones or other stressors that this might cause. Any health concerns I'm risking by doing this without the full deep clean and substrate change?

I'm thinking this is a good thing from time to time so it changes out their enrichment activities and the activity level for the rooms where they're housed. Looking for other opinions though.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    The phrase "long term" means different things to different people. Obviously you know there's some elements of risk, or you wouldn't be asking. Unfortunately, no one has a "crystal ball" to reassure you that nothing bad will happen. As far as pheromones (& btw, what are their genders?), I'd try swapping them in smaller containers first (tubs or even pillow cases) to gauge their responses before going all in on the swap. Honestly, I'd prefer a deep clean w/ substrate change, but it's your call, not mine. Some people gamble, some don't.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    "Long term" here meaning all of them at least a year so I should know whether they have mites or other obvious health issues.

Mixed genders, 2 F & 2M. Not really decided who will go where. Was more of a general pondering on my part. I have 2 nice setups in a high visibility area and would be nice if I could rotate some of them around, even the corns. Wanted to see if anyone felt strongly that this was a terrible idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    Risk is probably minimal (though some pathogens can "hide" for more than a year- you could have an asymptomatic carrier), & some snakes may be stressed about this (stop eating) or get preoccupied with breeding. You'd think captive snakes would enjoy a change of scenery, but some do & others don't. If you're planning to breed these snakes, then sooner or later they're going to meet anyway. If the substrates are actually fresh, I'd be inclined to swap them also, so the new enclosure won't smell so different. (& wipe down- ie. disinfect- the enclosures before putting in the swapped substrate) Again- not risk-free, & your call- you'll be living with whatever comes of it.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-27-2023 at 01:17 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    I would most definitely deep clean everything between both enclosures. Arena virus can hide asymptomatically for years in boas. I personally test through Research Associates Laboratory on intake for all of my snakes and do a thorough deep cleaning and disinfecting for any cage that has housed any other animal prior to the incoming occupant.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-27-2023),Homebody (05-27-2023)