Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,935

3 members and 2,932 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Scarlette - 2022 Colombian BCI

Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    She pooped the other day, weighing in at a solid 134 grams empty. Been handling her more, no hisses/strikes when getting her out. Hook training is going well, while she normally isn't in 'food-mode' when I go to get her out, she is typically taken out of it after a stroke or two of the hook. Planning on feeding her tomorrow.
    One question though, I feel her quarantine tub is far too small for her. Would it be alright for now, until I get her adult enclosure built, to move her into a 10 gallon? She would fit in it much nicer. Her setup would be practically identical, just in a larger space.
    After feeding and after giving her a few days to digest would it be safe to move her?
    Since we're talking about a BCI & not a BP- I think the move would be fine as you described above. Boas aren't nearly as shy as BPs are- but once she moves in, just give her time again to "settle in" (without handling right off- you want here to feel "safe").
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (06-06-2023),Homebody (06-06-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Since we're talking about a BCI & not a BP- I think the move would be fine as you described above. Boas aren't nearly as shy as BPs are- but once she moves in, just give her time again to "settle in" (without handling right off- you want here to feel "safe").
    Great! I hate seeing her so cramped. After she's out of quarantine (She will be around 11 months old, she is 7 months old now), would it be okay to move her to her adult enclosure? I plan to have it built before the end of the summer, so I'll have a while to perfect it after it's built. Would she do good in a 6'x2'x2'? Heavily decorated/tons of hides and spots to perch of course.

Thanks

Great! I hate seeing her so cramped. After she's out of quarantine (She will be around 11 months old, she is 7 months old now), would it be okay to move her to her adult enclosure? I plan to have it built before the end of the summer, so I'll have a while to perfect it after it's built. Would she do good in a 6'x2'x2'? Heavily decorated/tons of hides and spots to perch of course.
    I wouldn't worry about moving her again to her adult enclosure when it's ready- ALTHOUGH, moving this time into the 10 gal. should be very predictive of future moves, if you know what I mean?

Snakes of the same species all still have their own personality- some bolder than others. I'd make sure that for each move, she has plenty of hides & cover, & just some time to settle in. By that time she'll also know you better too, & less fear in a pet snake is always good.

The 6' x 2' x 2' size should be fine for all or most of her life- depending on her genetics & tendency to grow- again, there's always some unpredictability in the ultimate size that any snake will attain, "just because". Remember that lifespans vary quite a bit too- snakes grow their whole life- it just slows down, the older they get- so it depends on how healthy + lucky + genetically predisposed [to get huge] she is.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (06-06-2023)

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about moving her again to her adult enclosure when it's ready- ALTHOUGH, moving this time into the 10 gal. should be very predictive of future moves, if you know what I mean?

Snakes of the same species all still have their own personality- some bolder than others. I'd make sure that for each move, she has plenty of hides & cover, & just some time to settle in. By that time she'll also know you better too, & less fear in a pet snake is always good.

The 6' x 2' x 2' size should be fine for all or most of her life- depending on her genetics & tendency to grow- again, there's always some unpredictability in the ultimate size that any snake will attain, "just because". Remember that lifespans vary quite a bit too- snakes grow their whole life- it just slows down, the older they get- so it depends on how healthy + lucky + genetically predisposed [to get huge] she is.

I feel like she'll do well, her disposition is great. We'll see though, she's CERTAINLY much more bold than my BP. Not headshy, about and about, perching, etc.

Looking forward to watching her grow, what size should I expect for a female BI though? She is a pet only, and will not be powerfed. From what I saw online, it said to expect 6-8 feet. I feel a 6'x2'x2' would fit pretty well for her life, but we'll see. I know I can get her bigger if she NEEDS (over 8 feet), so no worries. Honestly though, I'm hoping she stays around the 7' - 8' mark. I've handled a 7' boa before, which was my main inspiration to get one. Their perfect size and generally good temperaments makes a great snake. Nothing care wise, besides food maybe, is anywhere in the extreme.

No regrets with this buy, even if it was a bit of an impulsive one! She already handles better than my BP. Can't wait to see her grow.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2023),Homebody (06-06-2023)

Thanks
    You sound like a fine boa-owner to me- The only BCI (a female) I've had grew to just about 8'- but it depends on genetics (many do outgrow their "parents" so it doesn't always work to go by that) & other factors (overall health, etc) Mine was sweet & cuddly- the only difficulty I had was getting her back INTO her home after having her out with me for a while- it was a "rodeo" until I figured out to put her in a small soft-sided pet carrier (it functioned like a "hide" while she was away from home- she liked being in it) then put that in her enclosure & let her emerge- Ha! Now I gotcha!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (06-06-2023)

Thanks

You sound like a fine boa-owner to me- The only BCI (a female) I've had grew to just about 8'- but it depends on genetics (many do outgrow their "parents" so it doesn't always work to go by that) & other factors (overall health, etc) Mine was sweet & cuddly- the only difficulty I had was getting her back INTO her home after having her out with me for a while- it was a "rodeo" until I figured out to put her in a small soft-sided pet carrier (it functioned like a "hide" while she was away from home- she liked being in it) then put that in her enclosure & let her emerge- Ha! Now I gotcha!
    Haha, yeah! I was originally planning on getting a male but then realized they usually stick to smaller range (6'-7'). After handling a larger boa, I knew I just had to get one that could get to that size. My girl now is already super cuddly, and seemingly very trusting. I manage to get her back in her tub pretty easy right now. We'll see how that goes as she ages!
    It's so cool to see how smart they are, you can see when they're willing to go in/out of their enclosures. How they look at you, are are actively aware of you and their environment. Even my mom has chosen favorites now!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2023)

Thanks
    Mine enjoyed snuggling around my waist while I watched movies- and in the winter time (when my house was 70* ambient) I'd also use a heating pad with a blanket over that so along w/ my body heat, she was comfy- no wonder she didn't want to go "back"- hahaha. In the warm months, she liked being carried around my back yard for fresh air & a bit o' sun- she always reached out to my very tall trees also, but no way I could let her climb them- I'd never have gotten her back. People call the fire dept. to get their cats out of trees- can you imagine their unrepeatable response to retrieve a large boa? Not to mention that she'd have hissed & lunged at them... (never at me though).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (06-08-2023)

Thanks

Offered her food last night and she struck once, coiled, and then dropped it. Offered again, she didn't strike. Left the mouse in over night and she didn't eat. I'm thinking this is because of handling, I'm going to slow down on that/handle her less. Going to delay moving her to the 10 gal. We'll see how she does next week.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-08-2023),Homebody (06-08-2023)

Thanks

Offered her food last night and she struck once, coiled, and then dropped it. Offered again, she didn't strike. Left the mouse in over night and she didn't eat. I'm thinking this is because of handling, I'm going to slow down on that/handle her less. Going to delay moving her to the 10 gal. We'll see how she does next week.
    Eating & growth always outranks handling. Handling commonly puts snakes off eating- or maybe she's going into a shed cycle that she can feel -but you cannot yet see signs of. Handling that's not bothersome for one snake may well be too much for another- they all have their own personality.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (06-08-2023)

Thanks

Eating & growth always outranks handling. Handling commonly puts snakes off eating- or maybe she's going into a shed cycle that she can feel -but you cannot yet see signs of. Handling that's not bothersome for one snake may well be too much for another- they all have their own personality.
    Didn't think of shed cycle! I'll be sure to keep a close eye on her, watching if she goes into blue. Otherwise, going to keep handling down to a minimum. Just cleaned her enclosure, the mouse sitting on the paper towel overnight dirtied it. She seemed to be doing well, no signs of defensiveness.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast