Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,517

1 members and 3,516 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Scarlette - 2022 Colombian BCI

Got my first BCI on Sunday May 21st, 2023. She is from a November clutch. She is a Kahl Albino. She has eaten once for me so far (F/T mouse), and is still undergoing quarantine.
    https://imgur.com/pNzLFqu
    https://imgur.com/a/E9azNgu
    https://imgur.com/a/7Q6CWy7

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2023),CloudtheBoa (08-26-2023),dakski (05-24-2023),Homebody (05-25-2023),richardhind1972 (05-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Scarlette - 2022 Colombian BCI

Nice looking BI. Kudos on quarantining. Many people skip this step and it can be bad.

Any questions, just ask. There are quite a few Boa peeps on here.

Basically, Boas are amazing eaters, are really quite inquisitive and docile when food isn't around, and are beautiful animals.

Three things to keep in mind (and sorry if you know and/or have kept boas, etc.).

1. Slow grow your boas - very easy to overfeed and difficult to underfeed. Any questions on feeding schedule, prey size, etc. just ask.

2. Your boa will get big. Plan on getting a big enclosure for down the road. Females tend to get noticeably bigger than males. FYI. So keep that in mind. Again, questions on type of enclosure, size, etc. just ask. Just make sure it hold heat AND humidity really well.

3. Hook train. Boas are generally very docile. However, 2/3 of my boas (Feliz - BC - and Behira - BI) will hit the doors striking when they anticipate, or just think food might be coming. This can be bad for them. However, it also means you need to be careful. Hook training is a great way to let them know you are there, are not feeding them, and that they are going to be picked up.

Any other questions, feel free to ask here or PM.

Good luck with your new addition and keep us posted on Scarlette.

P.S. If you aren't sure to post pics, ask. You can imbed imgur etc. pics and that way people do not have to click on the link. The pics will appear on the post.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (05-25-2023),CloudtheBoa (08-14-2023),Homebody (05-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    Congrats on your first boa & a beauty at that- I had a very chummy BCI for many years (my first & only large boa- I don't count the rosy boas, lol). Mine had an appetite that never failed, but she never once bit me, & she had very dark coloration, with amazing iridescence. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (05-25-2023),Homebody (05-25-2023)

Thanks

Thank you Dakski!

My girl is still rather young, and feeding charts online are rather inconsistent. She is just about 2' now. I got her from a local reptile show, her breeder was feeding weekly. I forgot the size that they said though. Should I aim for every 10 days and little to no lump when feeding? Should I increase food size or feed more often because she hasn't reached a year yet?

Secondly, I am aware female BCI's can get LARGE (up to around 10' for the extreme individuals) I plan on (and am saving for) building my own enclosure, as freight shipping from Boaphiles has gotten into the thousands for me and I am a smaller hobbiest. Any recommended adult enclosure for a female Colombian BCI?

Third, Thanks! I am definitely going to hook train her! Haha, I've been lurking in your thread about Behria for a while now. Just one thing though, does feeding response grow over time? Do they just hit harder?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-25-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Congrats on your first boa & a beauty at that- I had a very chummy BCI for many years (my first & only large boa- I don't count the rosy boas, lol). Mine had an appetite that never failed, but she never once bit me, & she had very dark coloration, with amazing iridescence. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine.

Thank you! From what I've seen so far she seems decent. No bites or hissing like her sister when brought out of the tub at the expo. I'm really loving the colors on my girl so far, and especially their eyes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

See below in BLUE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    Thank you Dakski!

My girl is still rather young, and feeding charts online are rather inconsistent. She is just about 2' now. I got her from a local reptile show, her breeder was feeding weekly. I forgot the size that they said though. Should I aim for every 10 days and little to no lump when feeding? Should I increase food size or feed more often because she hasn't reached a year yet?

I aim for a very minimal lump on my boas. Feeding every 7 days is fine for mice. I imagine you are feeding adult mice?

Once on weaned rats I switch to every two weeks. Until then, once a week is fine. Remember, less is more. Additionally, Boas are not good at handling fatty meals. Avoid ex-breeder/jumbo mice. Anything more than about 25-30g (an adult mouse) is not a good idea. Same with rats. Behira, who is almost 7 years old now, eats large rats (about 200g). I do not plan on feeding anything larger (rat wise) to her because the fat content goes up a lot.

Secondly, I am aware female BCI's can get LARGE (up to around 10' for the extreme individuals) I plan on (and am saving for) building my own enclosure, as freight shipping from Boaphiles has gotten into the thousands for me and I am a smaller hobbiest. Any recommended adult enclosure for a female Colombian BCI?

10' would be an anomaly to say the least. I would anticipate 7-8' and 12-20 pounds, depending on how you feed. If you keep her lean and strong and slow grow, she shouldn't be huge. Many overweight boas online - 7-8ft and 30+ pounds. They often do not live very long, sadly.

Behira is almost 7 years old and 6-6.5 feet now and 3.2kg. I doubt she will be more than about 5kg max. She's still growing on large rats every 3 weeks, but her consistent body shape and tone makes me think not much larger than that.

I have her in a 6X2X1' enclosure from Boaphile. That should be fine for her for life. Some people go with 4X2, but I figure length+width should be the same or larger than snakes length with boas. So 5X2', or 6X2' is what I would do.

I love my Boaphile tanks. I have a lot of them. PM me if you want an introduction to Jeff Ronne, the Boaphile. I priced out a tank on his page (6X2X1.5') and with double/redundant thermostat, RHP, locks, etc. - fully loaded - you are looking over $1k. However, it's not something you need today. I like Boaphile because everything comes installed and built. Whichever way you go (animal plastics is another that people really like as is reptile basics), be consistent. If you are planning on growing your collection and want to stack tanks, it helps to have the same type.

Third, Thanks! I am definitely going to hook train her! Haha, I've been lurking in your thread about Behria for a while now. Just one thing though, does feeding response grow over time? Do they just hit harder?
    ​Feeding response is pretty consistent. If anything, they slow down a tiny bit as they age - maybe. . They hit the same, but bigger snake equals more force. Behira hits like a freight train.

You should be looking at an enclosure with double doors. If she's on side a) you can open side b). Or, once you know her response, can open the same side, but it's a smaller door and makes it easier to maneuver around.

I have yet to get a bite when feeding, and do not plan on it. I am very careful, use big tongs, and expect the worst when feeding.

I am not trying to scare you. I'd rather a snake with a consistent and healthy appetite than one you have to coax. Boas rock in that department. It just pays to be careful. Not good for either party to have a bite.

You can see from the pics of Behira, Feliz, and Jeff, that once food isn't in the picture, they are total sweeties.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck and keep us posted.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (05-25-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    See below in BLUE.

​Feeding response is pretty consistent. If anything, they slow down a tiny bit as they age - maybe. . They hit the same, but bigger snake equals more force. Behira hits like a freight train.

You should be looking at an enclosure with double doors. If she's on side a) you can open side b). Or, once you know her response, can open the same side, but it's a smaller door and makes it easier to maneuver around.

I have yet to get a bite when feeding, and do not plan on it. I am very careful, use big tongs, and expect the worst when feeding.

I am not trying to scare you. I'd rather a snake with a consistent and healthy appetite than one you have to coax. Boas rock in that department. It just pays to be careful. Not good for either party to have a bite.

You can see from the pics of Behira, Feliz, and Jeff, that once food isn't in the picture, they are total sweeties.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    For the enclosure would you recommend sliding doors or opening out? For what I have planned so far enclosure dimensions are 6'x2.5'x1'5.
    Shes taken a smaller mouse for me so far, as her breeder had skipped a week for her due to the expo. She didn't seem confident in eating. Even my hog took with more enthusiasm lol. Should her feeding response grow better the more she settles in?

Thanks

....Shes taken a smaller mouse for me so far, as her breeder had skipped a week for her due to the expo. She didn't seem confident in eating. Even my hog took with more enthusiasm lol. Should her feeding response grow better the more she settles in?
    You just got her on 5/21-? If so, her poor feeding response is normal- she hasn't had time to "settle in" yet- it's often best just to wait a week for any new snake. (And don't handle them at all.)
    New homes are VERY frightening to snakes- it's hard to think about food when you don't feel safe.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (05-25-2023),dakski (05-25-2023),Mistery510 (10-24-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You just got her on 5/21-? If so, her poor feeding response is normal- she hasn't had time to "settle in" yet- it's often best just to wait a week for any new snake. (And don't handle them at all.)
    New homes are VERY frightening to snakes- it's hard to think about food when you don't feel safe.
    Alright! Good to know. How often do you suggest I go without handling? Keeping her in quarantine? I checked her over twice the day I got her, she seems healthy and no signs of mites, and RI, or anything else. Waiting to see her droppings at this point. She has no stuck shed.

Thanks

Alright! Good to know. How often do you suggest I go without handling? Keeping her in quarantine? I checked her over twice the day I got her, she seems healthy and no signs of mites, and RI, or anything else. Waiting to see her droppings at this point. She has no stuck shed.
    For a BCI, I'd wait until she's fed twice at least before doing much handling- as long as she took food easily. Eating is more important to her health- handling will keep. For snakes more likely to be difficult feeders (BPs & others) it's best to wait (not handle) until after 3 meals at normal (weekly) intervals- to make sure they don't get too stressed to eat. Nothing worse than a snake that won't eat.

Quarantine is very subjective- & depends on how many other snakes you have, & your intentions (is this a business investment? will you be breeding & selling them? or is it "just a pet"?) Also depends on where/how you acquired the snake. (ie. from an expo or pet store is more risky)

for checking for mites- but keep checking for at least a month, just in case eggs hatch out.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (05-25-2023),dakski (05-25-2023),Homebody (05-26-2023)

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast